Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

File Transfer via Bluetooth

Here's something very strange:  I have an 8310 with AT&T and in the past I was able to transfer files (pictures and mp3's) via Bluetooth to my MacBook and Windows Vista computers.  It's nothing that I do too often, but have done in the past.  Recently, I wanted to transfer a picture via Bluetooth to my MacBook (which I had done before) and I get an error on the BB stating that the transfer failed and it was "unable to find the service."  I'm assuming that it means the file transfer service, which, as it turns out, does not exist anymore on the device.  Here are my questions:

1.  What happened to this service?

2.  How do I get it back?

Here are the particulars of my Blackberry:

Blackberry Curve 8310

At&T Wireless

Device O/S Version: 4.2.2.170 (Platform 2.5.0.30)

I know full well that I can transfer files via the USB cable and that seems to suffice.  I'm just perplexed as to why this feature seems to have disappeared.  If anyone has insight, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.

New Contributor

Re: File Transfer via Bluetooth

i am having the exact same problem- i used to be able to transfer files from my BB to my mac, but not anymore...UGH!!!

BB 8310, macbook pro...

and even with pocket mac connected via USB i cannot browse my phone...

New Contributor

also, my phone and mac are in sync- i can transfer my address book from my BB to my mac with no problem, but if i try to browse the device, it is recognized, but i get the following error: this device does not have the neccesary services...

what happened to them!?!

New Contributor

Well, I answered my own question.  Here's what I've been able to deduce:

1. The last time it worked I was using Mac OS 10.4.  This allowed for file transfer via Bluetooth in a slightly different manner than 10.5.  For example, when the bb connects to the computer, it loads the OBEX service (drivers) to the device and effectively open the blackberry up for object exchange (file transfer).  From what I can tell, this service is now a clandestine part of 10.5 whereas, in 10.4 it was overt.  What does this mean?
  2. This means that in 10.5 the services do exist and file transfer is still possible, but more steps are required to achieve the desired results.
  3. First, make sure both devices (computer and blackberry) are in "discoverable" mode and have been paired.
  4. Perform the following in 10.5:  select a file from the computer via the Bluetooth File transfer assistant - select "send file via Bluetooth" - Now, set the blackberry to "Receive file via Bluetooth" - doing this it will enable the device to receive the file and, seemingly enable the obex file transfer service.  Once it completes, send a file in the other direction (from the blackberry to the computer).  It should work.

I think the disparity occurred when I upgraded from 10.4 to 10.5 because 10.4 did not require so many steps to perform to complete the file transfer.  I think Apple must have changed something in 10.5 and made it more difficult, or was trying to hide the obex service (maybe they considered it a security issue or something).  Who knows?  I hope this helps.

New Contributor

quote: "Perform the following in 10.5:  select a file from the computer via the Bluetooth File transfer assistant - select "send file via Bluetooth" - Now, set the blackberry to "Receive file via Bluetooth" - doing this it will enable the device to receive the file and, seemingly enable the obex file transfer service.  Once it completes, send a file in the other direction (from the blackberry to the computer).  It should work."

- i've only had 10.5, both phone and mac are bluetooth on, discoverable and paired. when i go to the bluetooth options on my phone it brings up the screen that says "bluetooth: enabled paired devices: my mac".  when i try to send something the light flashes on the phone, but i still keep getting the same error...

is there a way to set my bb to receive file via bluetooth that i'm missing?

New Contributor

What you need to do is the following:

On your blackberry:  Browse to Media, and select, pictures (for example), now press the menu button while in pictures and select "receive using Bluetooth"  Now send a file from your mac using the bluetooth file transfer.  This will work - if it doesn't then there may be an issue with either your mac or bb.  Let me know if you need further instructions.  Good luck.

New Contributor

sweet! that did it... thanks!!!
New Contributor

alright- so i can send things back and forth, but for some reason i still can't browse through my phone on my mac like i used to. not that big of a deal, but it would make things like picture transfers way quicker...
New Contributor

Glad to help!  Unfortunately, I've been unable to resolve that problem.  I'm still working on it, but I'm not going to hold my breath.  Although, if I find something, as always, I'll post it.
New Contributor

I have a slightly different problem pertaining to my Bluetooth and my Blackberry.  I have an LG CU400 cell phone that recognized my Blackberry as a valid Bluetooth device.  I have some pictures and file stored on my LG CU400 that I wanted to transfer to my Bluetooth (I replaced the cell phone with the BB).  Well, I start by selecting Receive Files via Bluetooth on my BB and then try to send the file via Bluetooth to the BB device.  The BB asks me is if I want to allow the connection, I click OK, then I get an error message on my BB saying that there is an invalid character in the file name.  I tried everything, including renaming the file, and I still keep getting this error message.  Anyone have any ideas?

Terry