Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Swisscom

Finding Authorized Repair Center

[ Edited ]

Hi All

Please can someone tell me how to find my closest BB authorized repair center in Switzerland.

I have scratched the top cover of my new phone and would like to replace it without danger of voiding the warranty. Swisscom however, will not repair cosmetic damage and gave me the name of a company in Houston, TX.  Obviously, this is not practical.

A great phone, but horrible, just plain lousy, that neither RIM nor their provider can provide this information quickly and directly. Very weak considering the extensive business use. C'mon RIM, you can do better than that!

Many thanks in advance.

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Finding Authorized Repair Center

Wow.

Your service provider IS your warranty provider. And correct, they do not provide repaairs for physical damage. I do believe they could provide you with RIM factory repair but it's not any more convenient to Canada than Houston, TX (I know the guys in Houston at http://www.bbrepairshop.com/ , they do good work).

I'd say do the repair yourself, it's not hard.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Swisscom

As I said, Swisscom said they do not repair cosmetic damage, even if I would pay for it and as you say, sending it to Canada is no more sensible than sending it to Houston. I will not do the repair myself as this will void the warranty.

My question is, how do I find a list of RIM authorized repair centers for a certain country? In this case a list for Switzerland.

If anyone from RIM is reading this; I find it infuriating that finding the answer to such a simple question is so convoluted. Moreover, I find it remarkable that there is no where to provide feedback, both good and bad, to your company regarding your products. Relying on second parties and "tribal knowledge" for customer service is not ground breaking or progressive, it's just poor service. Especially infuriating is the automated hand washing response from help@rim.com. Very lousy support for an otherwise great device.

TheAlpine wrote:

As I said, Swisscom said they do not repair cosmetic damage, even if I would pay for it and as you say, sending it to Canada is no more sensible than sending it to Houston.

But it's the solution, whether you accept it or not.

TheAlpine wrote:

If anyone from RIM is reading this;

Likely not. When you signed up for this Forum you would have read the welcome email and EULA that states pretty clearly this Forum is a user-to-user community based  effort. It's not user-to-RIM or RIM -to-user. Everything here is pretty clear about that.

TheAlpine wrote:

Moreover, I find it remarkable that there is no where to provide feedback, both good and bad, to your company regarding your products.

There is. See the very clearly marked CONTACT link below on each and every page of this forum?

TheAlpine wrote:

Relying on second parties and "tribal knowledge" for customer service is not ground breaking or progressive, it's just poor service.

I guess that's an insult to the many very knowledgeable users here that spend their time volunteering to assist others, even users like yourself who come here to insult and gripe.

Your service provider is your FIRST line of support. Of course, you know that. They've provided you with the answer already, you just don't accept it. This forum is not in anyway the primary support mechanism RIM provides, it's ancillary.

TheAlpine wrote:

My question is, how do I find a list of RIM authorized repair centers for a certain country? In this case a list for Switzerland.

There's not.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates

[ Edited ]

TheAlpine wrote:

JSanders

Well a comprehensive demonstration of why forums and private individuals are no substitute for direct customer service.

I wrote a simple, polite question and vented my frustration with RIM on this forum after being directed here by a generic response from their "help" contact. One well meaning individual tried to answer that question, but disregarded the qualification that I " would like to replace it without danger of voiding the warranty". In fact the original question read:

"Please can someone tell me how to find my closest BB authorized repair center in Switzerland?”

Another individual, you, misread almost all of my posting and provided something entirely different.

First, I don't know or care if anyone from RIM reads these forums- this is explained by the qualifier "If" that preceded my sentence. Second, unless you work for RIM, how could you possibly know whether this forum is not checked from time to time by RIM staff. You don't. Forums, unofficial or not, are a good way for all companies to spot trends and get feedback and they are frequently used for those purposes.

Re-reading my two posts, I am not sure how you could find insult; you are clearly not acquainted with the term “tribal knowledge”. It is an expression describing the informal act of passing information from one person to another and nothing more. It is not in of itself a bad thing, but inappropriate as a means of training and customer support and this was my point.

You sarcastically advise using the contact link below. Already done, that’s precisely how I got here, eventually, via the help@rim.com address. You say this forum is ancillary, it is not. It is one of five officially sanctioned means RIM avoids direct interface with their consumer and is entirely unsatisfactory.
To restate-yet again- Swisscom, my provider,  told me to find an authorized repair center and that is what I am attempting to do.  They do not have a list, but RIM must logically have a list somewhere. You happen not to know about it, which is not a surprise considering you don't (implicitly) work for them.

I will forward this thread to RIM via letter as an example of why every company needs to have some form of direct customer support and not rely on forums except as last ports of call.

RIM does have direct customer support, but you haven't asked for that.

The contact link I directed you to has other than email routes of communcation by which you can voice your displeasure.

You asked "If anyone from RIM is reading this" and I responded "Likely not". I didn't say they never would. Perhaps they have by now.

And you are correct, while this forum is "officially sanctioned" it is not your official route of customer support. That's already been discussed, you know the answer.

Why don't you call Swisscom back and ask to be ecalated to RIM level tech support and ask yourself for this list of Authorized Service Centers? That IS the official support channel. I'd be a bit miffed too if my service provider sent me on this wild goose chase.

All your questions have been answered factually, without regard to your insulting and belittling commentary in your thread in and in your private message. There is no authorized service center in Switzerland.

TheAlpine wrote:

One well meaning individual tried to answer that question, but disregarded the qualification that I " would like to replace it without danger of voiding the warranty".

That was me, thank you Smiley Happy . Scroll up, check the thread. After your personal insults, my back got bowed along with yours. I apologize if you took my comments as too tribal or otherwise. I tried to advise you the best I can from my experience (which in my book is more valuable than knowledge -- tribal or learned). The fact that you refuse to accept that experienced advice is up to you.

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates