Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Firmware for the Blackberry Bold

Thanks for all the feedback regarding the firmware.  I think I may use the advise in post 2 which said to go to Crackberry.

But I will say this.  There was not an even consensus on what to do about getting the latest firmware.  If the Blackberry Staff is reading this, please take note, that it appears that end users are not getting a clear message on how to get the latest firmware.  Where do you go to get the update?  When do you go to get it?  Do you load it directly into the phone?

There are lots of questions on this topic that need some clarity.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

jusacruiser wrote:

Thanks for all the feedback regarding the firmware.  I think I may use the advise in post 2 which said to go to Crackberry.

But I will say this.  There was not an even consensus on what to do about getting the latest firmware.  If the Blackberry Staff is reading this, please take note, that it appears that end users are not getting a clear message on how to get the latest firmware.  Where do you go to get the update?  When do you go to get it?  Do you load it directly into the phone?

There are lots of questions on this topic that need some clarity.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Check my previous post in this thread. Plus, btw, RIM is not the responsible party for distributing OS releases direct to BB owners. That responsibility falls to the carriers -- they take what RIM releases, test and certify (or reject) it, and then wrap it up for the users on their systems.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

I took sdgardne's suggestion to go to the carrier's site to do the download (AT&T).  But it looks like I already have the most recent version for the blackberry bold.....so after all that, i decided to not do any downloads for the time being.  The download is for version......4.6.0.167.....which I already have.

Should I do the download anyway??   Does that make sense to get the download anyway?

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Sorry for the confusion earlier. When you said the latest version on the Bold, that is the .266 release. I do not have to load another carrier's OS. If your Device is working fine there in no reason too. I personally just like having the latest OS so that's why I updated to the .266 release.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Contributor

jmrmb80 wrote:
Sorry for the confusion earlier. When you said the latest version on the Bold, that is the .266 release. I do not have to load another carrier's OS. If your Device is working fine there in no reason too. I personally just like having the latest OS so that's why I updated to the .266 release.

Let me think about what you are saying there for a minute......you are saying that you wanted to update to the latest version which is the .266 release.   I would like the latest version too, but when I compared what is in my phone to what was described for the download, it looked like I already had the latest.   I would like the latest, but am not sure if I have the latest version.
Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

As was stated before. When you check on the carrier's website it only provides the latest version released by them. Different carriers have different OS versions. But the latest version that's been released for the Bold from all the carriers is the .266 version.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

To add to my previous post (sorry, I've been in transit), while the carriers are responsible for releasing the OS that they certify to their user base, that does not mean that is the latest OS for the device. Different carriers will accept different OS levels. And there will always be leaks of the latest and greatest OS (aka beta versions)...but "greatest" will be a subjective opionion in most cases. If you choose to play in leak-land, you accept a couple of things.

1. It will not be perfect...such is the nature of beta code.
  2. Your carrier will not provide you with support once they discover you've gone beyond their certified OS. It does not void your warranty -- rather, they may simply turn you away until you fall back to their supported and certified OS level.

Pretty much, if you play in leak-land, you will need to come here for assistance from others who have taken the same jump that you have to compare notes, ideas, and discover what works and doesn't...and how to make it so. If you stay on your carriers certified OS, then they must provide you with all support within the terms of your contract with them.

Hopefully that clears it up a bit.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

My Bold came with .167 which coincidentally was my carrier's latest os (my phone is unlocked) - I have since updated to .266 which is a Vodaphone release and I have encountered no problems related to the upgrade and it has resolved a couple of problems I had, including a screeching speaker when on hands-free.

If you decide to upgrade to another provider's latest, e.g. the Vodaphone's .266, remember to delete the file 'vendors.xml' from the loader.exe software that loads the os to your phone.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

tbilisoft wrote:

You can update device os online.

Connect your device via USB-cable to the computer.

Launch Internet Explorer

Open this address: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/devices/

Click on "Update Now"  button

I used this method 2 nights ago with great success.  My application memory at startup improved  from 22MB to 31 and there's much less loss of resources over the course of a day.  I was prompted to update my Desktop Software prior to updati8ng the device software and everything went off without a hitch.