Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 8300 Curve, 9000 Bold & 9700 Bold
My Carrier: O2-UK
Accepted Solution

First charge for new battery

I've recently upgraded to a 9700 Bold & want to make sure I correctly charge the new battery for the first time in order to ensure optimal performance for the future. I've searched the messageboards & am left confused as to what to do for the best.

In desperation I spoke to a lad from my carrier, O2's, technical support team, who advised charging the battery for a full 16 hours initially in order to condition it prior to using the phone for the first time.

Was his advice correct, or should I simply charge the battery until the phone indicates it's got a 100% charge on it?

Any guidance on this would be very much appreciated.

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: O2

Re: First charge for new battery

As far as I know, the first charge is always about 16 hours for most mobile phone batteries. So you leave it on, even if it says 100%.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_polymer_battery

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Thanks for the link to the Wikipedia article, knottyrope - after reading the section on charging, I assume it would be best to charge the battery for 16 hours for the first time, as I've been advised by the O2 tech support lad.

Thanks again for taking the time & trouble to help me with this.

Contributor

Thanks for getting back to me on this, Redlion_uk.  Just wanted to try & be sure I was doing the right thing, as once it's done, you can't undo it!

Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700

[ Edited ]

I am about to be issued a replacement 9700 as the one sent to me had a few small build quality issues that weren't a big deal at all (but I figured I have paid my money so a perfect handset is my entitlement).

Anyway that aside. In regard to charging the battery.

In order to get full capacity out of the battery does one need to already have the charger attached to the phone before inserting the battery in (since this boots the phone automatically).

Or should I just insert the battery and allow the phone to boot, then when i attach the charger leave it in for 16 hours plus.

I know this might seem like stupid question but this is the first handset I have owned which boots automatically when the battery is inserted and not sure if it makes a difference in regard to charging the battery for the first time in order to maximise battery performance.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

I am a first cell phone user.  I could not find anything on charging a battery for the first or any time either in my BlackBerry literature or my provider literature (Rogers).  Perhaps someone can tell me where it is in the literature for the BlackBerry Bold 9700.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I did not see any in mine.

Just charge it for 16 hours if nervous about it and dont worry if it is powered up or not when doing so.

I had some users here that never did the first initail charge and their battery life seems good so far.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

My Device: Bold 9700

Any officials from RIM to verify this information?

KKR
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: idia

Please give me a proper instruction for black berry bold 9790's first charge for new battery