01-23-2009 10:38 AM
01-23-2009 10:47 AM
I would wipe with this tool
And then reactivate with the desktop manager and your OS which you can find listed here
01-25-2009 12:15 AM
After multiple attempts to get the first tool to work, it did not help. I received a COM port error.
I had low bandwidth and was unable to complete the download of the desktop software after multiple tries. I will try the second tool when I am in the mood to experiment more with the 8800.
This entire process has frustrated me, so I consider the 8800 a loss and will treat it as an experiment.
I should have mentioned that I used a Windows XP SP2 machine to update the 8300. I had no problems or concerns whatsoever with that update. Everything went right the very first time I used the update, so when I learned that my 8700 and 8800 could accept the new device software, I decided to update all of my devices and give away the 8800.
I used Windows 7 Beta on an iMac via Boot Camp to update the 8800. All the software ran as if I were on the XP machine.
The first time I ran the update on Win7, the software stalled when downloading the device software components. I attribute that to the bandwidth problem. I clicked cancel several times, closed the program and reopened it.
When reopening the program, it would not identify the PIN. I closed the program and reopened the program a few times. Still no PIN, so I restarted the computer. The PIN appeared.
During the second time I tried to update the 8800, the program stalled again, at a later point during the update this time. I clicked cancel and restarted the computer.
On the third attempt to update the 8800, the program stalled again at a much later point, I believe during the ROM update. This stall was much longer than the previous two, and longer than what I remembered with the 8300 update. Clicking cancel would not work, so I pulled the USB cable from the 8800. At that point, the update immediately reported that I had a fatal error and I saw the red flashing LED on the 8800.
I restarted the computer. The PIN would not identify on the 8800. Fearing the worst, I tried the program with the 8300 and 8700. The PIN was identified on both those units. I went no further than that point with those units.
The update kept hanging at certain points on the Win7 setup when things were smooth on the XP setup - I thought the problem was with Win7.
I never attempted to update the 8700, and after reading of all the problems others have had with their updates, I never will.
I plan to purchase a dedicated WinXP box and experiment on the 8800. If I can get it to work, great. If not, no biggie - it was the expendable BB.
I will purchase an 8900 when it is available on T-Mobile. It will take the place of the 8300.
I will not update the 8700.
Thank you for your help. I hope this post helps others.
01-27-2009 01:30 AM
Pulling the USB cable in the middle of a ROM update WILL permenantly destroy the device...
Unfortunately the devcie is now permenantly destroyed.
Contact your carrier to organise a replacement. There may be out of warranty costs for it (if it is out of warranty!).