Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Forgot Password and at 9 of 10 allowed attempts

I inadvertently made a mistake when typing in a new password. I was changing my password to a simpler one. I cannot remember the key(s) I hit by mistake (they were numbers). I am at the 9th of 10 allowed attempts. The manual tells me the device will be wiped if I go to #10. I've searched for a phone number for technical support, or a "Contact Us" option on the Blackberry website. There seems to be no way to access tech support. The whole reason I was using a password was to prevent inadvertent downloads due to the super-sensitve touch screen. I've been charged for numerous downloads that I was unaware I made, apparently while the device was in my pocket. I'm very disappointed in the whole Blackberry experience. Shouldn't there be a way that my password can be sent to me via email as there is for most every other forum in our lives for which we need a password -- at least without the draconian action of wiping my BB Torch 9800 clean of my data?! Thanks in advance for useful advice.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Forgot Password and at 9 of 10 allowed attempts

If it weren't for this problem you're having, I'm sure you'd be very happy with your BlackBerry.

I won't sugar coat the answer:  If you don't know the password, you're out of luck.  Nobody at RIM nor your cell carrier has access to it nor can it be retrieved by any means by anyone.  This is a security measure put in place by RIM and one of the selling points of the BlackBerry brand.  As tough as it may be to take this, you'll just have to bite the bullet and start over.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Smiley Sad

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and did the wipe and am now reconstructing my data. The biggest disappointment I have with the BB Torch is the super-sensitive touch screen. Locking doesn't help since the button on the top is easily depressed and, hence, the phone unlocked. That is why I resorted to a password. But that is a pain to type in everytime I want to use the phone. Have you encountered this (super-sensitive touch screen) and, if so, how do you deal with it? Thx!

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

I holster my device in a BlackBerry carrying case which turns off the screen as soon as the phone is in it.  Firstly, this conserves battery life and secondly, nothing touches the touchscreen while it's holstered.  Once one masters inserting and removing the phone while only touching the sides of it, it's the end of all such problems that you described.  I'm also very impressed with the clip cases offered by Seidio (www.seidioonline.com).  Whichever you choose, I recommend holstering your BlackBerry.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: None at the moment

Where and how were you able to reset the torch without using a password to get in? I am having the same problem and have two attempts left and haven't used my phone for almost a year and would like to use it again.

Highlighted
My Carrier: None at the moment

Nevermind...I found out how.
My Carrier: StarHub

Hi ejgraham,
Plz share how u figured out to reset the password? I m facing the same problem. I hav changed my device password instead if my usual password 5 months ago. Since then, I didn't happen to use my bb until this morning. And I couldn't really remember my new password n now tried until the last allowed attempt. I don't want my data to be erased. Plz help me know how to do. Thk u
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

LayzeeBird wrote:
Hi ejgraham,
Plz share how u figured out to reset the password? I m facing the same problem. I hav changed my device password instead if my usual password 5 months ago. Since then, I didn't happen to use my bb until this morning. And I couldn't really remember my new password n now tried until the last allowed attempt. I don't want my data to be erased. Plz help me know how to do. Thk u

Hello,

There is no hope...only the user created password can unlock the BB and prevent the Wipe. There is no "master" or "override" password...only the password you created is useful. If you don't know it, then the only thing you can do is fail the final time and allow the BB to wipe clean. The password will be removed, along with of course all of your data. Then you start over.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................