Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Friend being stalked by ex

I have a recently divorced friend that we believe is being stalked by her ex via GPS.  I'm fairly certain that it is being done through her BB somehow, because he always seems to know where she is, no matter how she got there (her car, somebody else's, etc.).  We're certain that he's not following her, as we have confirmation that he's been at locations nowhere near her when he's called and asked what she's doing at the place she was at the time.

Due to circumstances beyond her control, they are both still living at the same house, and he could have easily accessed her BB while she was sleeping, showering, or just occupied w/ other things, and done whatever can be done to allow him to track it via GPS.  I'm here looking for recommendations on what course of action to take.  Is the only solution a new phone, or are there other alternatives?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

Re: Friend being stalked by ex

There are apps that will allow you to track your phone in case it is stolen. Tell your friend to check under Options>Advanced Options>Applications for any new apps that are unfamiliar and has the term "gps" or "tracker" is a good place to start. You can delete the app from here by highlighting the app, click blackberry/menu button and "delete". Google maps software also has "google latitude" which allow you to share your location with friends. Check to see if Latitude is sharing info.

Blackberry phones are very secure and are preferred business devices for this reason. Unless you have an app enabled to allow gps tracking, it should not give your info to anyone. You can also turn off GPS by going to Options>Advanced Option>GPS and set "GPS Services" to "E911 Only".

Hope that helps.

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Thanks Smiley Happy
Highlighted

As has been stated to you on other threads on other forums....you should be contacting the police and not trying to attempt self help.  If your claims are genuine then the your friend could be in grave danger from not involving the police. 
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi Barbwyr and welcome to the forums!

Excellent advice, and a great first post!

Kudos's to you Smiley Wink

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Thank you...I just hate seeing these posts all over the place because I would bet 9 out of 10 of them are the person looking to do the stalking, and the 1 that isn't is wasting time trying self help when the authorities should be involved.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

barbwyr wrote:
As has been stated to you on other threads on other forums....you should be contacting the police and not trying to attempt self help.  If your claims are genuine then the your friend could be in grave danger from not involving the police. 
Good call!
Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Thanks Smiley Happy
New Contributor

Why not just backup the device using Desktop Manager and then reset the phone to factory settings.   That should remove anything on the phone that is not desired.

Options / Security options / General settings / Menu / Wipe handheld 

Type in "blackberry" to confirm

Developer

[ Edited ]

I would suggest that you go through all of your apps as the first responder said and delete all unknown programs.

Also see if "Google Latitude" was enabled if she has Google Maps downloaded...that is a trackin fprogram in itself

Message Edited by eyecon82 on 09-01-2009 05:53 AM

Google Latitude is a good bet as is another possibility.  I know several people who have seperated or devorced and still maintain their phone on their ex's account for financial or contract reasons.  What they don't realize is if the ex is the one in charge of the account, they can add features like "family mapping"(ATT) to the account and track the other party without them knowing or being able to stop said monitoring.  This is why I am always telling them that they must CUT all ties (excepting mutual child situations) with these ex's or they are just kidding themselves about being seperated.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

Along with contacting authorities, make sure she is possession of her phone at all times.  I'm not going to get into it here, but the phone should never leave her site or be left unattended.  She should also consider activating the password to turn the phone on.

Take care and please stay safe.