Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900

GPRS but no EDGE

Hi all,

With my Curve 8900 on Orange UK I have GPRS coverage but not EDGE. I live in central London and I've called Orange who confirmed there should be EDGE coverage but I've only ever seen GPRS - not even a brief connection to anything else. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a setting that may be wrong? From reading I wonder if the APN is wrong. The network confirmed I should be able to get it on my connection.

Thanks in anticipation!

Solutions: 6,362
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: GPRS but no EDGE

The APN setting does not control that. However, I know I have seen other UK users have this same problem. I know I have read on these and other forums that London proper does have EDGE, but many of the outlying areas suffer.

There could be a specific tower issue in your area. 

There is not a setting specificically for GPRS to EDGE, but if you look at Manage Connections > Mobile Network, and UNcheck for 30 seconds until your signal goes OFF in the upper right hand corner. Then REcheck it to bring the signal back. Sometimes you might see it hit EDGE and bounce back to GPRS. 

Do you?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: GPRS but no EDGE

Hi jsanders, thanks for your help. No, I'm afraid that doesn't work. The only mobile connection I get is gprs. I tried turning data services off and on too with no success. I can get UMA at home but nothing outside. Could there be a firmware problem perhaps?