Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl 8130
My Carrier: Telus Mobility

GPS Issue with Pearl 8130

Hello BlackBerry Community!
I'm sure a lot of people have had the same issue and as far as I've searched, I haven't found a solution that works for me.
I have a BlackBerry Pearl 8130 from Telus Mobility (CDMA) with an unlimited data plan. BlackBerry Maps worked the way it was intended with a precise GPS location (within a 10 m radius). Then for some reason it just stopped working one day (almost a year ago now), and displayed a message similar to "Unable to acquire GPS lock". I have been using Google Maps since, but only with cell tower triangulation - I get the following message: "Your location within 800 meters. Waiting for GPS.", then "Your location within 800 meters. GPS temporarily unavailable." Google Maps used to work flawlessly too, with a precise GPS lock.

A few things I did:
Upgraded device software/OS from 4.2 to 4.5 (from Telus' own website) when it came out. - No luck.
I figured it was my phone so I took it in to a Telus store and (long story short) got a replacement unit. It was refurbished apparently but I didn't mind. - No luck.
Reinstalled official device software. - No luck.
Gave up. - Worked! But didn't solve the GPS issue Smiley Sad.

Anyway tried installing BlackBerry Maps again a few minutes ago to see if I missed something, from this link: http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=maps . But, "Notice: Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support BlackBerry Maps." (Yes, I did it from my phone.) However, it clearly does: http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/blackberry_pearl_8130_smartphone/index.shtml .

What have we concluded: It is not the phone's issue as I've tried 2, and many other people seem to be having the same issue. It may be carrier related, but it DID used to work, and perfectly at that! It is not OS specific as it didn't work for both 4.2 and 4.5.

Anyone have a solution to this?
Sorry for the long post. I tend to ramble a lot. Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance!

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: GPS Issue with Pearl 8130

Did you get your GPS working yet? Telus decided to block it (a while ago) so that it can only function with the Telus Navigator program, that you have to pay them for every month.

There is a work-around, which I performed today, and it works AMAZING! I was out at lunch and picked up 11 satellites!

Let me know if you want some help doing it!

New Contributor

Did they really? Smiley Surprised

I wasn't aware of that. In fact, they didn't mention it last time I talked to them about it (about 7 months ago, so it may have changed?). But the fact that it wasn't working then either means there maybe something else at hand.

Anyway, I'd love to know your work-around! Is it the whole Telus Navigator thing? I tried that a while ago too (by a Telus rep suggestion), no luck (except for cell tower triangulation again), but it may yield different results now.

Thanks,

Arjun

New Contributor

I have been using my 8130 with a golf GPS program called "Green Finder" up until now and all of a sudden it is unable to locate GPS satellites. I tried the Blackbery Map program and it too is unable to locate any satellites. I am on the Bell Network (located in Alberta Canada). I saw this post and thought I would ask ifyou resolved your issue or got a response as to what that "work around" was. I checked my connections and security settings and everything is as it should be.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I haven't. Smiley Sad

x2

Did you try anything else? The work-around I was referring to was installing Telus Navigator (I'm sure there's an alternative for Bell) and "jump-starting" the GPS. See here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&message.id=2119 and Google around for others. I haven't found one that works yet...

Message Edited by Arjn143 on 08-19-2009 01:46 AM
Contributor

I don't know anything about Bell, as I have been a cellular customer with them in many years. I will post the steps to the workaround for TELUS. This fix will NOT work for Bell, as far as I know. I do NOT recommend trying this with the bell phone, ONLY Telus. I assume no responsibility if something goes wrong. I HIGHLY recommend you back up your phone before you do anything!

You will need to have the following programs on your computer before you start:

Blackberry Desktop Manager

QPST

UniCDMA

HexWorkshop

I don't know if I am allowed to post links to the downloads, but DM, Hex and UniCDMA are easy to find as I believe they are freeware. If you can't find QPST, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Also, be advised, if you are running windows Vista, you might need to run some of those programs in compatability mode, or if you have access to a machine with XP, that is better.

Kudos go to Unibomber from HowardForums!

-3. install QPST

-2. install uniCDMA
-1. install Hexworkshop

Reboot your computer.  

1. Install your blackberry desktop manager. (Im using version 4.7 and it hasn't given me any problems.)

2. Plug in your phone and Run desktop manager. If you get any messages, just click ok until you are back to the main screen. Do NOT close the DM.

3. Minimize DM and run uniCDMA

4. Select "Qualcomm" under the mode drop menu

5. Click setup tab and change the port to com4

6. Click Read all and it should fill in the boxes on the left with your phone's information

8. Click memory tab and change the starting address to 0x10630000, length : 1703936 (cut and paste them). Click read and save to file (save on your desktop so you can find it, file name doesn't matter).

9. Now open Hexworkshop and open the file you just created.

10. In the right box you will see a 6 digit number (you will need to look very carefully for this. This is what took me the most time. It will NOT be 000000. If there is more than 1 6 digit number, write them all down). That is your MSL password. Write it down.

13. Close and it will reset your phone and you are good to go. Please note, your phone may reset at any time. My phone seemed to do it randomly.

This is what the msl number should look like:

now for the QPST part
credit goes to tobeychris

4. Install QPST if you haven't already.
5. Run the Service Programming program under the QPST start menu.
6. Double click on the little globe at the bottom right of your screen on the task bar 
7. Click on Add New Port, and add COM# 4 - and phone model surf*** (6630-bb) for the Pearl
8. Close the QPST Configuration window, and go back to the QPST Service Programming window.
9. The surf 6630-bb from step 7, which is the same number in the ESN column, is your ESN! (in hex format). If you have your SPC already, keep going. Otherwise, scroll down and read the SPC section.
10. Click on your phone, and then click OK.
11. Your phone should now be automatically detected. If not select it to match the picture below, then click OK.

Contributor

12. Click on Read From Phone and then enter your SPC and click OK.

13. Goto the gpsOne tab (you'll have to scroll to the right) and make your screen identical to this one, choosing the settings for your proper carrier below:

Telus:
PDE IP Address = 216.198.139.92
PDE Port Number = 8889
PDE Transport = IP
Position Calculation = Mobile
Contributor

Make sure you add all the check marks on the left side!! Make sure you get the IP address right!

If there is something that isn't clear, reply here and I'll do my best to help you!

Contributor

I forgot to mention. This process might temporarily turn off your cellular radio. When you are finished, go in to the menu, select "Manage Connections" and then put a check mark next to Mobile Network.

The whole process took me an hour and a half, and when I turned my radio back on I had 2 voicemails and a bunch of emails and IM's. LOL

New Contributor

I just spoke with Bell Mobility support and after trying several things, we got it working by removing the battery while the phone was ON, waiting for about a minute and putting the battery back in. Once the phone restarted both my GPS applications (MAPS and Green Finder) worked again. Interesting that during the time my GPS did not work, my Internet service did as well as email etc..

Don't know if you have tried this or not, but maybe it will work for you. Pretty simple solution, once you know.