Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

GPS/Maps not working

Hi. I just got a BB 9000  and it's my first BB, so forgive me if this sounds like a stupid question. But...

I thought the 9000/Bold had a GPS built in. It has a "maps" feature but when I try to activate it, I get an error message that "your device is not configured for BIS or BES access." Then I get told to contact my wireless service provider (Rogers, in Canada).

Any idea how to access this service or set it up?

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: GPS/Maps not working

Question?, you have a Blackberry Bold, but where you buy the device?

You don't have any data plan with Rogers?

If you don't have a data plan, you can't navigate with maps, you can't setup the mail, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Forums Veteran III

Sorry, i forgot explain something

BIS - BlackBerry Internet Service = email service provided by the respective carrier; T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon, Rogers, etc, etc...

BES - BlackBerry Enterprise Server = email service provided by a server ran by a company. For example by your employer...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks. I had the $15 a month "unlimited" email plan. I went back to Rogers and had the plans explained to me by another staff person (they weren't properly explained when I got it.)

I foolishly thought unlimited email simply meant I'd have to pay extra for browser or other data access. But no, what it means is that the GPS, browser and maps functions don't work at all. It's not a matter of paying more when you use it: you can't use it at all. And, of course, it is NOT unlimited, because that plan limits access to enterprise server email. No one knew that at the store.

This took about 45 minutes for the staff to figure out, much of it on hold trying to reach their support line.

So I had to upgrade to a $30 a month data plan, thinking it would solve my problems. That bought me GPS and Maps, as well as access to the browser, but I still couldn't activate my municipal email. That required another phone call, another endless wait on hold, and then the explanation that "unlimited" email doesn't mean unlimited: it means access is restricted to some email services. And no, a 1 GB data plan didn't buy me the access to just any data: it still denied me access to the enterprise server emails.

I bought this primarily to get municipal email forwarded to me. All the rest is mere chrome. So what did I need to do to get access? That plan necessary to get enterprise access - listed nowhere in any of the literature at Rogers, and a complete surprise to the staff who had never heard of it - was another $15.

So I went from $15 a month, to $30 to $45 in under 24 hours, triple the cost - none of this explained in any of the literature available for the consumer to browse.

I said no thanks and returned the device.

Forums Veteran III

Sorry about that, i don't know how Rogers Works in Canada, i am in USA with Tmobile and i have a unlimited data plan for $ 30 ( i believe so).