Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

GPS and Media card questions

Had my BB curve 8300 about 2 weeks but can't manage to get the gps to find satellites any ideas as to what I need to do would be appreciated .

Also as it only came with a 128mb microsd I need more memory can I replace it with an 8GB micro shsd card?

Thanks in advance

Graham 

Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Re: GPS and Media card questions

4GB card is the max on the 8830 with OS v4.2. You would need to upgrade to OS v4.3 or better to use an 8GB card.
New Contributor

I purchased an 8 gig card and my 8310 from AT&T would only recognize 4 gig.  I loaded the latest firmware (v4.2.2.170) a few days ago, reformatted my microSD card (in my PC) and now the phone sees the full 8 gig!   Hope this helps!
Contributor
My Device: Several

Graham,  What carrier is your Curve on? 

Verizon blocks GPS capability unless you purchase one of their branded GPS applications.  T-Mobile Curves don't include GPS, but do work with a Bluetooth GPS unit.  Some carriers won't show GPS data in the Options/Advanced/GPS area but do pass the data to GPS applications like Google Maps. 

New Contributor

How does the media card really work?  I put in a 2gig card.  status shows 1.8,  Does the BB8320 use the extra space automatically?  Does it need to be formatted?  I do not see that the card is really being used.

Thanks for the tech help

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Several

cmmcphee, some of the difference is due to rounding of numbers.  Options/Media Card just reports memory readings to one decimal place.  Also, 1,024 Meg is rounded to 1 Gig in the computer world.  Thus your 1.8 Gig reading reflects at least 1.843 Meg.  O.K., rounding doesn't count for much, but it does count for some.

The rest of the gap is because of the formatting.  Think of the memory card like your neigborhood.  Just like a neighborhood, people can't build their homes right to the lot line.  So there is an amount of space in every neighborhood that can't be built on, just as there is memory in every card that can't be written to.  The amount of "wasted" space is determined by the formatting used.  A rural neighborhood may have large open areas where an inner-city block may be packed in pretty tight.  Such is true for memory cards, and hard drives too.  Different formatting renders different capacities.  For your memory card to work in several different devices, a standard format is dictated.  Some space is used to store information about the type of formatting used.  Think of it as a map for other devices to use to know the size of the blocks and individual lots in your neighborhood. 

I hope this helps,

Mark