Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Orange Israel

GPS fails to get a Fix Possition

Hi,

I had a BB 9000 Bold.  After using it for about month, the GPS started taking a very long time to Fix A Possition.

It got to a point where it would not fix a possition during a full 30 minutes drive on my regular route between home

and work.

That device was fixed by my carrier (Orange Israel) 3 or 4 times including a couple of times they told me they

"replcaed the backbord".  Still, after a while (two or three weeks) it started showing the same symptoms again.

Eventually, I got the carrier to replace my device with a brand new one.  At that time they didn't have 9000 Bold available anymore, so they gave me 9700 Bold.

This new device worked for a while, but then again after about 1.5 months started showing problems.  Not getting

a Fix Possition for a very long time (over half an hour).  This is while driving under a sunny clear blue sky.

Eventually, I got my carrier to replace this device too.  Got this brand new device last Tuesday.  This new BB 9700

Bold is showing the same problem from the first day.

Somtimes the GPS works flawlessly.  But then, other times, it will not Fix a Possition during the whole drive from home to work or back.  This is just over half an hour drive.

The current device details are as follows:

Vendor Id: 606

Platform: 5.1.0.165

App Version: 5.0.0.743 (1254)

So do you have any idea how I can resolve this issue and be able to actually use the GPS function on

my BB?

Thanks,

---

Adar Wesley

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: GPS fails to get a Fix Possition

Go to Options>Status on your homescreen.  While in Status, type "test" without quotations.  There will be no field in which to enter it and nothing will show on the screen while you do so.  Just do it and it'll open the BlackBerry diagnostics test program.  Scroll down to GPS, check the box (along with any other tests you'd like to perform) and run the test, following the instructions and suggestions along the way.

Get back to us with your results.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Orange Israel

Re: GPS fails to get a Fix Possition

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I have learned about this self test procedure a while back from searching the web.  I have done it numerous times.

In some of the cases the test will succeed in getting a Fixed Possition withing a minute or two.  However, in other

times the test will timeout without Fixing Possition.

If I execute this self test after I run into the problem of not Fixing Possition in the navigation software, the test will most likely not succeed either.

---

Adar Wesley