Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

ash
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

GPS on 8310 How do I get maps?

Can somebody please tell me how I get maps and use on my 8310 as a gps travel  map.I don't use very often and don't really want to pay  for them.

I have seen some discussion about free google maps.

Please help

Ash

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: GPS on 8310 How do I get maps?

Hi and Welcome to the forums!

Google maps is a free application that uses GPS as well as triangulation via cell towers. If your GPS is enabled it can be very accurate. If your gps cannot find a satellite, Gmaps will triangulate your position within 3,000 meters.

The maps are excellent, provide traffic, as well as turn by turn. Shows sattellite image as well.  Allows you to search for business's and displays address and phone number. You can click on the number to call it.

Again it's free, so you can down load and try it.

Here is the link: http://www.google.com/mobile/default/maps/index.html

Let me know if this helps, or if you need more assistance!

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

ash wrote:

Can somebody please tell me how I get maps and use on my 8310 as a gps travel  map.I don't use very often and don't really want to pay  for them.

Your 8310 has a built-in GPS receiver that allows you to use Blackberry Maps with that GPS. Provided it is not restricted by your carrier.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
ash
New Contributor

Dear Bifocals and Xandrex,

It worked a treat.

I dowwnloaded google maps and everything seems good.

I did have one problem however.When I lauched the maps it would get to 10% and stop.

I was then advised to contact my service provider as they hadn't activated my blackberry connection.They had only activated my phone line.

No matter.

I now intend to play around with ''Google where am I''........It looks entertaining!

Any thoughts?

Many thanks for your input.I was getting quite irritated.

Ash

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

As soon as you get you data services added you will be REALLY happy with Google maps Smiley Happy
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

ash
New Contributor

Can I ask please what you mean by getting ''data service added''?

Ash

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

ash wrote:
Can I ask please what you mean by getting ''data service added''?
When you use your Blackberry, you use at least three services :
  • a phone account, so you can call people and receive calls
  • a blackberry account, that enables you to receive mails that have been configured to be sent to your Blackberry
  • a data account, that enables your for example to go on the internet with your blackberry. you can have a limited plan (XX $ for YY MB of data) or unlimited (XXX $ for "no limit")
  • (there may be other accounts for SMS/MMS or GPS services)

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
ash
New Contributor

Thanks Xandrex,

You are a Ninja of the nth degree.

Ash

New Contributor

So this is the problem I have had. You mean to tell me that this GPS is accurate to 3000 meters or close to 10000ft or about 2miles Why dont I just throw it out the door and see where it lands and then I will at least know where it is as I drive off trying to figure out how to get where I want to go. This must be a misprint I am sorry for joking around with it but if you are correct and it is only as good as 3000 meters How do you figure out how to get from where ever you might be to where you may wish to go?? This time I am not kidding and am very glad I found this site before the 30 day return has run out. I also saw where one guy mentioned about an antenna for the GPS or the phone I have the Blackberry 8330 curve I hope there is an Antenna for it as I am right at the fringe to hook up to the phone. Thanks dray
Regular Contributor
My Device: BOLD 9700
My Carrier: Etasilat

Hi.....How do I TEST if my carrier has restricted GPS or not I am located in Dubai U.A.E and the carrier"s name is ETISALAT...????

Smiley Very Happy

MDawood