Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Curve 8300 (EDGE) v4.5.0.182 (Platform 2.7.0.106)
My Carrier: ATT
Accepted Solution

GPS, the 8300, and ATT

I got my 8300 about a year ago and waited until now to install the Garmin Mobile for Blackberry.

Cingular told me it had GPS "capability" and I thought it meant "built-in."  I paid $100 for the Garmin

download and got the version for phones WITH GPS.  Naturally it did not acquire any satellites.

That's when I discovered I have the 8300 and not the 8310.  Also, I lacked the Blackberry Maps

feature, and was ready to download/install it, when I noticed the statement that IT DOES NOT WORK

ON ATT.  So, now here I am with an aching brain trying to figure out how to get out of this mess before

I feed the rest of my money to Garmin or ATT or WHOMEVER, to get a less-than-perfect GPS setup.

I could get the GPS Bluetooth Receiver someone else purchased for around $60. The Garmin Mobile software

is for a phone with builtin GPS, and I noted somewhere that it does not work for phones receiving signals from

a Bluetooth receiver.  To stay with Garmin, I'd have to purchase their package for about $150 which includes a

receiver and software to go with it.  Using THIS plan, a one time purchase, there seems to be no $9.99/mo

subscription to deal with. (Am I right, or am I missing something here?)

I could get the receiver for $60 as noted above, and then subscribe to the Telenav GPS stuff which came with

my phone from ATT. I downloaded the new maps from them today, but I'm not at all impressed with their quality.

I also think it's outrageous to pay $9.99/mo subscription to something I have trouble reading.

So.....I guess I'm wondering if I should cut my losses right here, and go get the Garmin Nuvi that someone else

said was excellent for car navigation?  I really enjoy using my 8300 for everything else and having GPS would make it a clean sweep.  But I'm not sure if I cobble together a GPS system based on the phone that it would give me the navigation setup that I'd like.

There you have it. Opinions and advice are greatly appreciated. BJ

Curve8300 ATT
v4.5.0.182 (Platform 2.7.0.106)
Contributor
My Device: Alltel Curve 8330

Re: GPS, the 8300, and ATT

[ Edited ]

Check out my post about the Alltel 8330 with built-in GPS.  The Garmin cost and monthly charges would be a waste of money for me in my urban location since most of the time I can't connect with the satellites.

If I needed GPS, I probably would get a self-contained unit. Now on amazon.com, you can get a highly-rated, Garmin nüvi 350 3.5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator, for $200.  Or, as you suggested, use a Bluetooth GPS receiver with your phone...the one they have in the Blackberry shop is on sale for $129; however, I found the same one on another site for around $60.

Message Edited by StPeteMark on 07-12-2008 03:21 AM
Contributor

Thanks for the input.

One thing I was considering was a later model phone, but if the carrier did not allow the feature to load that would get me nowhere. Besides, I like the 8300--although I THOUGHT I asked for the 8310, and couldn't tell the difference until I tried to use the GPS feature.

I bit the biscuit and ordered a Garmin Nuvi 880 which has everything I like on it except for Dead Reckoning. With that feature it would continue to navigate (sort of blind) when satellite communication is lost.  It is supposed to

arrive on our anniversary. I am more interested in gadgets than my spouse, so this one is my treat.

One thing which made me reluctant to go for the BlueTooth receiver was the suspicion that it did not use satellites, but instead used server signals, or cell tower reception. 

With location based services (LBS) the latest big deal, I know that phone manufacturers will build location tech into every unit pretty soon. Carriers will have to decide whether to make it available as a basic service or an optional service for extra money. I don't have time to wait while they figure it out.

Thanks for your time.

Curve8300 ATT
Contributor

"One thing which made me reluctant to go for the BlueTooth receiver was the suspicion that it did not use satellites, but instead used server signals, or cell tower reception. "

I ordered the Globalsat BT-359C BlueTooth receiver last weekend; I'll let you know how it works out.

Contributor

"I ordered the Globalsat BT-359C BlueTooth receiver last weekend; I'll let you know how it works out."

For sure I'd be interested in what you learn.

Meanwhile, I am having a good time exploring the Nuvi 880 which arrived yesterday on our anniversary. We will go on a two day road trip the end of this week, and I will have a chance to find out how it performs.

I set up the BB8300 to use the Nuvi as a handsfree device paired by Bluetooth. Now I'll learn if I can export the address book of the 8300 to use with the Nuvi.

Ain't technology wonderful? !!!

Curve8300 ATT
Contributor

[ Edited ]

"One thing which made me reluctant to go for the BlueTooth receiver was the suspicion that it did not use satellites, but instead used server signals, or cell tower reception." "I ordered the Globalsat BT-359C BlueTooth receiver last weekend; I'll let you know how it works out."

It works great...and really uses satellites.  With Blackberry Maps, the dashboard for navigation shows the speed your going on the left, the direction on the right, and a satellite icon in the middle with a number which I assume is the signal strength.  The unit also works well for location with Google maps, too.  Note: the Bluetooth passcode key is 0000.

For more info, check out: "http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-214-bt-359c.aspx"

Message Edited by StPeteMark on 07-22-2008 10:10 PM
Contributor

StPeteMark, appreciate your followup with your experience.

If I decide to get a second GPS setup, I think yours will be the way I go.

Like they say, one can never be too thin, too rich, or have too many GPSs.

Smiley Happy

Curve8300 ATT
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

StPeteMark wrote:

"One thing which made me reluctant to go for the BlueTooth receiver was the suspicion that it did not use satellites, but instead used server signals, or cell tower reception.

you can get that cellular geo-localization for free using the Google Maps Mobile for Blackberry. Juste hit "Locate me". It's no very accurate though (but useful if you have no GPS device).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Yes, I loaded the Google Maps as you suggested, and I get the general location.

What I've done is buy a Garmin Nuvi 880 which has a lot of stuff on it, including voice activation, and BlueTooth, which allows me to talk through the GPS as if it was an earpiece but handsfree. I am very happy with it. However, if the original plan, of the GPS through the cell phone had worked, I would not need a separate GPS.

On my computer, I have Google Earth Plus, and I can upload coordinates and addresses of Points of Interest (POI) to the Nuvi 880 when I put it in mass storage mode with the USB connection. I can even send stuff from MSNDirect (3 month free trial) over the air to the Garmin.  Don't ask me to explain it, I'm still learning! Smiley Happy

Curve8300 ATT
Contributor

MoccasinLanding wrote:

StPeteMark, appreciate your followup with your experience.

If I decide to get a second GPS setup, I think yours will be the way I go.

Like they say, one can never be too thin, too rich, or have too many GPSs.

Smiley Happy

MoccasinLanding,

For more info, I have continued the discussion under Blackberry Device Software thread.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDeviceSoftware&thread.id=1435