Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

GSM Noise Interference

This is my first GSM account (Rogers) and have been introduced to this insanely loud audio interference --- like morse code --- through my desktop speakers. Even when they're turned right down. I have a small broadcast quality sound studio where all cables are balanced; all equipment is shielded/well made; etc. and I STILL get it there.

It happens whenever a call is coming in, or a calendar alarm is going off, or 'EDGE arrows' start flashing. For a while at the office it seemed to stop when I activated Wi-Fi. But that doesn't seem to work at home.

It's all over the net. Rogers says it's "normal". I'm just stunned that this has been going on all this time and people tolerate it. I can't have important phone calls disrupted (a client asked what the noise was. They could hear it!). I sure can't walk in to a studio where huge amounts of money are being spent by someone on an audio mix and start shooting this crap off in the speakers. I don't want my already feeble concentration broken, or meetings disrupted. Are people actually doing this, or are they turning off their phones?

I'm going to try ferrite beads (ferrite beads!) as per: http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/02/killing-your-phones-gsm-buzz-with-ferrite-beads/ Am I supposed to walk around with a pocket full of these things?

I've made a short 10 second MP3 recording of the sound while talking to illustrate how loud it is. If it's of any use, and there's a way of posting it here I'd be happy to do so. 

I was really looking forward to this 8900, but this is completely unacceptable and I don't see the device with the CDMA carriers in Ontario.

Does anyone have a solution?

More than grateful for any help.

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: GSM Noise Interference

Well, howzabout this: someone mentioned that a 3G device would not exhibit this behaviour. Anyone know about that, and if this great little handset exists that way? (I really don't want to return the 8900.)
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 8820, Curve

Re: GSM Noise Interference

It's just plain interference, nothing you can do about. If it bother you that much go with Sprint or Verzion that use the 1.9MHZ, not the 850MHZ T-Mobile or 800MHZ AT&T use.