Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Blackberry 9300
My Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Gay Social Dating Apps

Hi peeps, i was looking forgay social dating apps and found many, Some such as

Grindr, GayPinExchange, Bender Chatberry to name a few, all which can be found on the blackberry app world, the problem is when i click on download it asks for my log in details which i provide and then it says error and takes me too a black page. So i try it through the company website and use the barcode scanner after a few moments it says that these apps cannot be downloaded through blackberry. Well if they can be downloaded why are they available via bb world.

Thanks

Matt

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Re: Gay Social Dating Apps

Hey Spectacularspecies123,

Welcome to the BlackBerry® Support Community Forums.

To better assist you, after you put in your BlackBerry ID user name and password what is the full error message you receive? 

Thank you.

-HB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

gay
New Contributor
My Device: 9720
My Carrier: mtn

I think blackberry is homophobic. They limited us gays to use apps most straight people use that features an option for us as gay men to try and find suitable companions on. They blocked us from using grindr and now look how its a run around just to download a simple app that involves what? Yea a gay man trying to find someone on a app designed for us gays
Community Manager
Community Manager
My Device: PRIV
My Carrier: Koodo

Hi! App availability is determined by the developer of the app. If a specific app is not available for BlackBerry 10 I would recommend asking the developer to support BlackBerry 10 and encouraging them to visit http://developer.blackberry.com. Thanks! 

Did you know that PRIV comes with 12 months of free, complimentary support?

Call 1-866-533-8067 (Canada & United States), or 0800-141-3330 (United Kingdom) Smiley Happy

Follow me on Twitter and subscribe to the Inside BlackBerry Help Blog

gay
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's bull  IV already contacted Grindr On This Issue. Yall R *keep it courteous* Keeping us from using Grindr with ur stupid rules that seems to apply mainly to gay social media apps. That's y ppl are turning to other phones wth better technology. Your only now introducing android coz you c ppl rejecting your **bleep**y product. Making up excuses about nudity on grindr as if grindr doesn't hav the same bloody filters Badoo has. 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

I'm sure that you are entitled to your opinion on this matter, and that is as it should be. But, for the benefit of others who may search for information later, I would like to provide my opinion on the matter. And I elected to attempt to replicate your situation as best I could given my particular circumstances.

I could not test absolutely equally...to do so would require many things that I can't have (an equal legacy 9720 device and being on the MTN network...neither of which I can do). But, to test I installed Grindr (the Android APK, installed via SNAP) on my Z30, which is connected to my carrier (in the USA) as well as WiFi. Full functionality of the app was achieved...no blockages of any kind exist. Consequently, I make the following observations as possibly causal to your difficulties.

As was stated above, apps are distributed by the app developers via whatever channels they choose. Apps are not universally compatible...each developer chooses the platforms they wish to spend resources on supporting, write their app for those platforms, and then distribute it via the channels they select. The fact that an app does not appear in one distribution channel (e.g., BBWorld) is not necessarily a reflection of censorship by the channel...rather, it is more likely a reflection of the app developer choosing NOT to support that platform nor push their app via that channel.

A further observation is that different carriers, networks, and countries impose different restrictions on what users there can access. If, for example, your country or carrier blocks access to these particular places, there is nothing that BB can do to overcome that (and, indeed, in some regions attempting to do so would be illegal). I do not know if any such restriction exists where you are, but it remains one possibility of cause to your situation.

Another possibility exists in that of an IT Policy...if your device is (or ever was) associated with a BES environment, then an IT Policy could exist on the device that is causing the blockage.

Yet another possibility exists in that of on-device parental or firewall controls. They could perhaps be blocking the usage of what you desire.

My conclusion is that BB is not blocking this...if they were, then they certainly would be doing so worldwide, and I would not have been successful in my tests. My further conclusion is that the developers of Grindr have either chosen to not support the BB platform and therefore have not written their app to run on BB devices and further have not pushed it out via BBWorld -- all of which are choices the developer has made, not BB.

My final guess therefore is that the developers of Grindr (and many apps, I fear) have elected to abandon the legacy BBOS platform and instead rely on the APK compatibility that BB10 offers. Yet again, this is a choice those developers make...not BB.

Hope that helps.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
gay
New Contributor

Thank u. I'm still **bleep** thow. Grindr was available last year on bbappworld it got taken down this year. After I got this phne so I'm **bleep**.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

Well, looking at Grindr's own website, they don't even mention BB at all. They provide download links for IOS and Android, but BB not at all.

Further, the last time they mention BB on their site at all is way back in 2011. And a search via Google reveals more discussions about Grindr and BB, but all stopped in 2011. I find nothing from Grindr saying anything about "no more BB support", but that's also not that unusual (developers tend to announce only good things, not the things they are dropping).

Hence, the evidence continues to build that it is Grindr, not BB, who have ceased deployment to the legacy BB platform.

It is a shame that you made an investment in a device that does not support the usage you desire...of course, this only serves to bear out the responsibility to all consumers to assume nothing, and research everything before we make a purchase.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................