Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

General suggestions

I am new to Blackberry devices. Just a few suggestions after 3 weeks with my Tour 9630.

1 - I love the indicators above telling me I have an emails, SMS, etc. Why not allow me to scroll to them, click, and go straight to the item?

2 - The keyboard needs some improvements

•  The "." and "$" should be swapped, with the "$" over the "M" and the "." under the Speakerphone function. The "$" requires no Alt press while the "." does, and the "." is used extensively. That is simply terrible design.
  • You should be able to lock the caps or numbers beyond one keypress. The treo does that well.

3 - No Predictive Text? How can that feature be missing? Very basic stuff.

Just my opinion...

OS v5.0.0.484
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

Re: General suggestions

You should be able to lock the caps or numbers beyond one keypress. The treo does that well.

For caps-lock, press alt+right shift

For num-lock, press alt+left shift

Press shift to release

Using period "."

Press the space button twice and it automatically adds a period

No Predictive Text? How can that feature be missing? Very basic stuff.

Go into Options>Auto Text

You can create short forms e.g. if you type "mypin" and press space, it will automatically show your pin.

You can create your own custom text that is replaced by something you want.

Look through the tips and tricks for your phone. Not all the features are the same as other phones, but there are different or similar ones in most cases. Spend the time initially to get to know the phone and it will grow on you Smiley Very Happy 

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/blackberry101/tips/

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Thanks Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor

In any URL field, pressing the space key will put in a period.

In any email field, the first press of the space key will put in the @ sign. Subsequent presses of the space key will put in periods.

The reason there is no predictive text such as T9 is because most Blackberrys come with a full keyboard. RIM is not going to swap the period and $ at this time.

As to the indicators, it would be neat to be able to move to them and click on them. However, you can set your right and left side convenience keys to open Messages or SMS or whatever you want.

Contributor
My Carrier: Sprint

What does a full keyboard have to do with predictive text? It is awesome on the iPhone and even the treo. Quite basic feature that should be included and optioned on/off.

I know RIMM isn't changing the keyboard, but they should. Design is weak and illogical. Pressing the dot/period should be 1 click anywhere. 

I also know I can program side keys, but the point here are suggestions. Scrolling and clicking on notification icons would be a great feature and it wouldn't be hard to implement.

Furthermore, with Call Waiting in use, hitting the Red Button should end the current call and flash back to the first call, not hang everything up. Very poor design, imo. That needs to be configurable.

OS v5.0.0.484
Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

michaelfb68 wrote:

What does a full keyboard have to do with predictive text? It is awesome on the iPhone and even the treo. Quite basic feature that should be included and optioned on/off.

I know RIMM isn't changing the keyboard, but they should. Design is weak and illogical. Pressing the dot/period should be 1 click anywhere. 

I also know I can program side keys, but the point here are suggestions. Scrolling and clicking on notification icons would be a great feature and it wouldn't be hard to implement.

Furthermore, with Call Waiting in use, hitting the Red Button should end the current call and flash back to the first call, not hang everything up. Very poor design, imo. That needs to be configurable.

michaelfb68,

I undertand that the features aren't what you expected. From talking with other users on the forums most of us have no gripes with the issues you are experiencing. I guess it is just a matter of opinion Smiley Wink

These forums are intended for user to user support and RIM is unlikely to take any suggestions off them. Try emailing to bbsuggestions@rim.net for a more direct approach.

I hope you get to love your BB as other users have with time. It may just be a matter of adjusting Smiley Very Happy

Cheers,

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Thanks Smiley Happy