Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Getting email ONLY via wifi while overseas

Trying to minimize my data charges when travelling overseas w/ my Bold.  I've tried to piece together how to do it, but have't really tried it yet in practice - can anyone verify or correct the following:

To avoid downloading via normal network, turn off "data services" or put in "off when roaming"

When I find a wifi hotspot, log into that via the connections manager (but if data services still off, will not download anything)

Then, turn off the "mobile network" in connections manager

Now, turn on data services. this will keep the wifi as the only open gate.  When done, reverse

If there is a more straghtforward approach, or if this is simply wrong, I'd appreciate any advice. THANKS.

New Contributor

Re: Getting email ONLY via wifi while overseas

Any update on this? I started a similar thread as I really want to know how to do this for everyday use (including setting up email only accessable via Wi-Fi), as don't want to have any data charges.

And would someone who knows how to do this mind posting the instructions on how to turn this off after using, or is it the exact steps in reverse? If this is the right way to do it?

Re: Getting email ONLY via wifi while overseas

Here's what I do:

1. Before leaving (or in route) Options->Mobile Network->Data Services = OFF

2. When in wifi hotspot, Connections Manager->Mobile Network = OFF

3. Options->Mobile Network->Data Services = ON

4. (Only needed one time per wifi network) Connections Manager->Sestup Wifi Network->Scan for Networks

5. Provide wifi password, if required

Reverse from #3 to #1 when done. REMEMBER that the wifi network must pass port 443 to connect to the blackberry network for BIS.