Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Giving up and ditching my Storm

Well I've had enough of this horrible quirky unreliable unituitive and incinsistent phone. Great idea let down by RIM who have failed to adress their users problems. A great pity because its my 4th Blackberry and all the previous ones have been masters of their breed.

Good luck to any of you who are resilient enough to stick with them.

Regards

Paul Cundy

Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm

Re: Giving up and ditching my Storm

You made the only sensible decision that applies to the Storm, IMO.  I returned ours after 8 days of calling tech support over and over, pulling the battery, being unable to get into speakerphone mode quickly if answering in landscape mode.  False indicators of messages...random reboots, freezes.  Good grief--all i wanted was a phone that I could also text and view the internet on.  Instead I got a problem child that sucked at everything and WORST OF ALL, wasted MY TIME.  Inexcusable.  RIM has left a very bad taste in my mouth.  I can't forsee that they will come out with anything to redeem themselves, after this fiasco and sorry excuse of a phone.  They clearly don't care about unleashing  a piece of crap.  They should refund everyone's money who purchased the phone and decided to keep it past the 30 day return period.  They should AT THE LEAST, provide for exchanging the phone for other phones, plus a credit for all the aggravation and time wasted with the Storm.  Or perhaps they should give all Storm owners willing to wait for the rumored Storm 2, a free upgrade, but good grief, who knows if RIM will ever be able to create a workable OS for a touchscreen phone?? 
Dave
Super Contributor
My Device: VZW Storm 9530 OS. 4.7.0.148

My answer to all that is unhappy with the Storm......

If you remember when the 1st IPhone came out, so many people were unhappy with it and hated it. In fact the first IPhone made the news cause of the amount of unhappy customers.  Well then the 2nd Gen Phone came out and better OS..  apple people love it now!!!!

Maybe people should have taken that issue into consideration when buying into a 1st Gen/ new technology item.... 

Yes I took the leap knowing it was gonna be a bumpy road...... But with the new OS's out their and a little time, I believe this is gonna be a great phone.  Yes my phone has a few issues but over all I happen to love it...

I am sure RIM is very awear of the issues and I would bet my money they are working very hard to work them out..

I am running the Bell .122 official OS on my Verizon phone I will have to say it works very well...  Camera is fast. It is easier to back up on misspelled words. I't sure shows me a great deal of hope for this phone. I just wish Verizon would hurry up and release their new OS so it's covered under Verizon's warranty, That is my only complaint I have right now......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to resolve your thread.
Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer!
Please click Kudo's for those who provided help. Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Interesting comments by all so far.

My 2 cents worth: the iPhone was targeted at consumers; Blackberry is targeting business users.  So to release a new phone to the business community (which has embraced other BB models) and have soooo many issues...   I have to admit that I am disappointed in the Storm.  Guess we'll see how RIM stocks do over then next few months.

I too would be interested in receiving a version 2 Storm in exchange for my current one.  I say my "current one" because it is my second unit in as many months...

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: iPhone 3G

1G iPhone = sucked (people hated it)

2G iPhone = got better, people like it

3G iPhone = probably going to kick butt

Storm 1 = First generation and sort of sucked

Storm 2 = 2nd generation, gets better, more people embrace it

Storm 3 = probably going to kick butt

So, for all of you who think that the 1st try is the charm, sorry to burst your reality bubble but things like this take time to iron out. It's just a fact of development. But I don't expect the most of you to understand that.

I guess I'm a lucky one. I have had only one serious issue (after wiping it seemed bricked but wasn't). I'm also the type that won't wait around for Verizon to provide me with updates.

Oh. I can't SSH into Blackberry devices? CYA!!!!
Forums Advisor I
My Device: Storm2 (9550)
My Carrier: Verizon

Ateo wrote:

things like this take time to iron out. It's just a fact of development. 

Exactly.
Otherwise, we'd never have needed any other car since Ford's Model A!   

New Contributor
My Device: 9530 BlackBerry Storm

Hi,

I too am running the 4.7.0.132 version, and the improvements are great..  Response when pushing the keys is much better..  

I was trying to wait for the official released 4.7.0.113 through verizon wireless, and after hearing that it was coming for 1 month, I gave up and did the upgrade, myself.. I held my breathe, but the directions out under crackberry.com were great!!

I knew when I bought this phone that it was 'bleeding edge' technology, and knew going in, there were going t obe a few problems.  I glad I came over to blackBerry.. In the past I was a Palm user all the way!!

New Developer
My Device: iPhone 3G

ladydi0953 wrote:

I knew when I bought this phone that it was 'bleeding edge' technology, and knew going in, there were going t obe a few problems.  I glad I came over to blackBerry.. In the past I was a Palm user all the way!!

Exactly. People need to understand this *IS* bleeding edge. And with bleeding edge technology comes instability (they go hand in hand like bullets and guns).

Oh. I can't SSH into Blackberry devices? CYA!!!!
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Definitely interesting comments.  Now completely ignoring the iPhone (lets just pretend it doesn't even exist for all intensive purposes at this point in time), the Storm will make most users happy, but it won't work for others and never will.  Some people like the idea of a touchscreen but really need a physical keyboard for typing, so the Storm is clearly the wrong phone for these people (and that's just fine).  For others, a physical keyboard is considered a pain - I tried the Pearl for one day after using the Storm for two days and I absolutely couldn't stand it and couldn't wait to get my Storm back (I also tried using one of my girlfriend's BB Curve and kept trying to swipe the screen - it was actually really amusing).  This is one where it really comes down to personal preference, and people will have issues with one touchscreen device while others may have issues with another.

For those who want a touchscreen device with the BlackBerry services, the Storm is a great phone.  For those who prefer the Apple name and a large variety of apps and accessories, there is the iPhone.  For those who want a Windows experience, there is the Samsung Omnia or the HTC touchscreen phones.  And for those who want physical keyboards, there are other BlackBerry devices, various Palm devices (e.g. the upcoming Pre) and there are the various HTC smartphones.  It all comes down to personal preference and narrowing down your needs and requirements.  And if the phone you try doesn't work for you, no problem, try a different one Smiley Happy.

So to the OP, I'm sorry this phone didn't work for you, but I'm hopeful you'll find the appropriate device for your needs and preferences soon.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

DZD
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

For those of you giving up on the Storm - I would be interested in buying it from you (I hope it's legal to say that on the forum).  Please contact me if you're interested in selling it.  Thanks.

p.s.  I would feel bad if I didn't first recommend that you upgrade to the latest OS and give it another chance.  Smiley Happy