Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Unitel

Gmail disappeared - Setup now reads Update Failed

[ Edited ]

Hello

Smartphone: BB Bold 9900

A week ago my gmail disappeared from my BB home page. I go to the Setup wizard and try to setup a new account, but it only displays the user name and password fields. I enter the correct data for both, and get an UPDATE FAILED message.

I'vre tried everything from disabling the 2 step verification on google to the /integrate and /UnlockCaptcha through the browser. Nothing works. Cant even configure another account (example hotmail) The only thing that works is setting an email on blackberry servers.

can anyone help???

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Gmail disappeared - Setup now reads Update Failed

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

With a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! Otherwise, you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I Can't complete step 2 because I can't log in to my gmail account. It keeps giving me the "Update failed" message.

ergo i can send service books, but only to my blackberry email account.

HELP me please Smiley Happy

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

I don't see anywhere in Step 2 that you must log into your GMail account in order to complete those items. And, from what you say, I can't tell what happens for you with each of those items in that step. Further, the KB documents multiple methods to resend the Service Books, but I can't see that you tried any of the alternatives. Lastly, when all else fails, contacting your carrier for formal support is the next step.

If you can clarify exactly what happens in step 2 for you, we might be able to provide better additional guidance. Also, please confirm that Step 1 even completed successfully...if not, then proceeding to Step 2 is moot anyway.

Thanks and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Hello again

I can successfully complete STEP 1 and STEP2a.

On STEP 2b, Method 2 (KB15402):

"For BlackBerry smartphones running on BlackBerry® 6 or BlackBerry® 7, please perform the following steps:

1.    On the BlackBerry smartphone Home screen, navigate and click on the  Setup icon.
2.    In the Setup homescreen, navigate and click on the Email Accounts icon. 
3.    In the Email Accounts selection screen, select Internet Mail Account.
4.    If prompted, type the username and password, and then click Log In . 
5.    On the main screen, click Menu button and select Service Books, then click on Send Service Books to send Service Books to BlackBerry smartphone."

The only Internet mail account i have is the serviceprovider.blackberry, since my gmail disappeared. Still I manage to SEND SERVICE BOOKS, but assume those are for the bb account. 

I reboot and then go to the "Add email" menu and insert my gmail credentials, user and pass, which are the one only fields that I get to write one.

I insert the user and pass, and get UPDATE FAILED.

Hall of Famer III

sarapereiradasilva wrote:

Hello again

I can successfully complete STEP 1 and STEP2a.

OK...thank you.

On STEP 2b, Method 2 (KB15402):

"For BlackBerry smartphones running on BlackBerry® 6 or BlackBerry® 7, please perform the following steps:

1.    On the BlackBerry smartphone Home screen, navigate and click on the  Setup icon.
2.    In the Setup homescreen, navigate and click on the Email Accounts icon. 
3.    In the Email Accounts selection screen, select Internet Mail Account.
4.    If prompted, type the username and password, and then click Log In . 
5.    On the main screen, click Menu button and select Service Books, then click on Send Service Books to send Service Books to BlackBerry smartphone."

The only Internet mail account i have is the serviceprovider.blackberry, since my gmail disappeared. Still I manage to SEND SERVICE BOOKS, but assume those are for the bb account. 

If I remember correctly, it does not matter...when you send Service Books, it sends them all (not just for email, btw...SBs are necessary for all BB proprietary services, of which email is only one). The key part is the SB deletion, so that it doesn't "not try" to send if they are already there...deleting the SBs ensures that new SBs will be sent no matter what.

I reboot and then go to the "Add email" menu and insert my gmail credentials, user and pass, which are the one only fields that I get to write one.

I insert the user and pass, and get UPDATE FAILED.

Is there something you do between "Add email" and "insert my gmail credentials"? Normally, you would have been presented with a screen for selecting Personal/Internet email versus Enterprise. So, I will assume you went through that screen as well (please understand that I'm not trying to be picky...it's just that I can't see you nor your device, and need clarity of understanding to be sure I don't guide you in a wrong direction).

When the process I've given you fails, another way to try is via your BB Browser, going to www.blackberry.com/integrate and trying to integrate the email account that way. Another still is figuring out if your carrier has a BIS interface on the web, and accessing that via PC/browser, and attempting to integrate the account. And, as already stated, the last resort is to contact your mobile service provider for formal support...it is possible that something about your account (from them) is messed up, and they need to do something to clear it, but only they have access to their systems on which to do so.

Good luck and let us know!