Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Going abroad for first time with Bold on Orange. Advice, please.

I'm off on holiday this week.  I don't really need to be contactable, so will probably have my Bold switched off most of the time.  I'd like to be able to check emails/surf Facebook when I find free Wifi, though.  Stupid question (all of mine are!), but how do I make sure that when I switch the phone on, I only use free Wifi and don't get stung for roaming charges?

Thanks.

New Contributor

Re: Going abroad for first time with Bold on Orange. Advice, please.

sorry not much use answering your question however I just wondered if you'd had any problems with your bold on orange?  i have!!

New Contributor

Yes, lots!  And every time I try to speak to Orange about them, I'm put on hold for hours and hours.  It's very frustrating.

What sort of problems are you experiencing?

New Contributor

sort of glad it's not just me then... calls fail, when i am speaking to someone they cut out for a split second quite often meaning i have to ask them to repeat themselves over and over - very annoying.... it also freezes quite a lot.  this is my second one and i think i'll be returning it as ust can't be bothered with the hassle anymore....
New Contributor
My Device: Bold

I am on Orange UK and also had some real issues with the Bold and Orange TS. However, I do believe it to more the fault of Orange TS rather than the device. They are really not up to the job. I was without e-mail/internet for over a week. However, I have now upgraded to OS .162 from the pre installed .092 and it seems to be a happy Bold - even on Orange.

If you can, upgrade the OS, it may solve most of your issues, but no thanks to Orange UK

Kevin

Blackberry Bold 9000
Twitter thingy Kevin_Walsh
New Contributor

Thanks for that. Would someone as technically ignorant and inexperienced as me be able to upgrade the OS, though?  Isn't it really complicated?
New Contributor

i got this reply from a really helpful person and have downloaded the newest software for the bold

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=Bold&thread.id=2120

it's really easy just follow the instructions - fingers crossed it has sorted mine out - time will tell...if not it's going back to the shop

Highlighted
Contributor

If you go to options --> mobile network and turn data services off i think that will do it. please someone correct me if i am wrong as i havent tried it myself....

Then if you wi-fi it you should be able to surf

On Orange here too - not so many calling problems but plenty of device problems. bought mine from carphone warehouse as an upgrade so i am not sure if that effects things much... .62 does nothing for me. Mine is stable on .147 (or whatever the Orange France one is) and .62 gives me media errors again (i.e music is there in file browser and on the card but not in my library even though it should be).