Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Goodbye

I used to be a regular visitor to these forum. The info contained was, in the main, useful. However I am now moving on from BB to another brand.

I want to say thanks to all the contributors who have been of assistance to me both directly and via their replies to other posters.

I wish you all good luck and the very best for the future.

PS not being able export my contact list to my SIM is disappointing but (expected) and par for the course for RIM or BlackBerry (or however they want rebrand themselves)
Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Goodbye

Sorry to see you go.

Exporting contact data to a SIM card is a bad idea in the first place, as SIM card can ONLY contain one phone number per name (so you had my cell, office, home phones, each requires a separate entry) and secondly a SIM card may not contain a address, email or any other contact info such as twitter accounts.
You get a phone number and name, only.

Exporting your BlackBerry Address Book to a CSV or ASCII file is ideal, you get everything, and most ALL smartphones have some import mechanism for ASCII files.

So, the solution is there. RIM provided many solutions. Soemone forgot to ask, and just made assumptions. Smiley Wink

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello...and goodbye!

Good luck with your new device, whatever it may be!

BTW - as for exporting to SIM, at it's core, that's actually not a BlackBerry limitation...rather, it's a SIM limitation (affecting ALL devices with robust address books), and BlackBerry has zero control over the SIM capabilities. The BB address book is far more robust than the SIM phone list...using the SIM as a transfer medium results in losing all robust features of the BB address book. As such, it's not the recommended method for transferring information, and hence has limited tool sets to enable the use of it (it's not impossible...just a lot of one-by-one work). However, plenty of other methods exist to migrate data to another equally robust SmartPhone (e.g., CSV export, sync to Outlook, etc.), or even possibly to a less-than-capable device...but which tool will work depends on the capabilities of that other device.

In any event, best of luck to you! Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thank you for your good wishes.

I did carry out a search on the forum on how export the contacts - in all cases the responses were in the negetive. Hence I arrived at the conclusion that it was not possible to export my contacts.

Once again thanks for your good wishes and the past assistance.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Well, that search result is definitely not adequate...because it is completely possible. You may have to do some tricks, but it indeed can be done.

When you find out the import capabilities of your new device, come on back and let us know what it can handle...and we'd be glad to point you in the right direction to get the proper export from your BB.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Will do. Thanks
Highlighted
Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

khato wrote:

I did carry out a search on the forum on how export the contacts - in all cases the responses were in the negetive. Hence I arrived at the conclusion that it was not possible to export my contacts.

Oh. Your search didn't find any of my many posts with those directions.

Again, most any smartphone will import ASCII files (or their relative desktop software will). ASCII or CSV files can be converted to XLS or most any database format.

Good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code