Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: NONE
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Google Maps on BlackBerry: Serious Error. Please exit and restart.

A change made by either google or RIM is causing google maps to crash on all blackberry phones if it was installed recently. (It fails when the user is prompted to accept the terms and conditions.) I've been using google maps for months with no problem. I upgraded the OS on my phone a couple of days ago and google maps no longer works. Tried deinstalling and reinstalling it and it makes no difference. Apparently, there is no work around for this.

Does anyone know if RIM is aware of this problem and if it is being investigated? Many people depend on this app.

I as well as many others have reported it in the google product forums. Here is a link to my post.
Samsung Galaxy S5
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Google Maps on BlackBerry: Serious Error. Please exit and restart.

well this is a Google app.

If you install Google Earth on your Windows PC, if the application does not work anymore you don't contact Microsoft for that.

Same here in my opinion. So your best bet is to contact Google either through the forum or through Google+ (they probably have a support team over there)

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor

Is it not working because of a change from google or RIM? No way to know. Unfortunately, neither company provides any way for users to request support other than public forums like this.

RIM needs to recognize that irrespective of how good the platform is, without apps it will not survive. Face it, a lot of apps are not supported on blackberry. RIM needs google to support the platform. I would hope that there is someone in RIM who recognizes this and has contact with google to ensure google apps are supported on RIM platforms.

Samsung Galaxy S5
Regular Contributor

Found a work-around.

First deinstall v4.5.3.

Second install v3, can be downloaded here (copy to sd card).

Third reinstall v4.5.3, can be downloaded here (extract BlackBerry-47 and copy to sd card) or ota.

So much for google's "do no harm".

Samsung Galaxy S5
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: T-mobile

i just spend 3 h on the phone with the bb tech support trying to resolve this issue. nothing helped!! 

I noticed that your links are invalid. Can you post them again because looks like that is my last option. 

Thank you!

My Device: 9320
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

This workaround is succesful. The point is that google maps V3 works fine, and upgrading to V4.5.3 from V3 as well.

Clean links can be found here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/maps/7ub--3up4r0/discussion

The link to V3 is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i8w6jymjdvdbch8/GoogleMap-v3.zip

As a reminder, you download the google maps V3 and blackberry 47 (for 4.5.3) folders on your SD card, then you go the "files" application on your bberry, run the .jad file from the google maps V3 folder (to install google maps V3). You make sure that it runs and then you upgrade to 4.5.3.

Thank you so much for the files!!

Regular Contributor

Regular Contributor

Didn't notice that you posted them already. Thanks.
Samsung Galaxy S5
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

is there a link on google.com for the v3 ? I am not confident about a link on dropbox.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Regular Contributor

You're welcome to find your own source for google maps v3. I don't know where it is on google's website or if it's even on google's website. I got the link from the person who originally figured out how to get around the problem. Lots of other people have used it and I haven't heard of any problems. It's up to you.

Samsung Galaxy S5