Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Google Maps vs. BlackBerry Maps on Bold 9000

I want to put either Google Maps or BBMaps on my Bold because I will be damned if I am forced to pay $10 a month for AT&T Telenav.

My only problem is I do not know which program is better.  I really need turn by turn directions, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Contributor

Re: Google Maps vs. BlackBerry Maps on Bold 9000

I have not tried either of these.   I read somewhere that BlackBerry Maps was not supported on AT&T network, but you may not want to give up on it as easy as I did.   I did find one I liked called amAze.   It has turn by turn voice directions with 3D or flat maps.  I haven't been in a case where I really needed it yet, but I did test it a couple times for some local stops.    Pretty **bleep** good for free.   It will use up battery as it keeps the back light on full time.   A USB car charger would help on long trips.  I have not looked for option to shut or reduce backlight yet.  

Contributor

I have just installed Garmin on my Blackberry Bold and that is just fantastic, so much better than Blackberry's own maps, didnt know Google was available, will have to habve a look.
New Contributor

JamesSawle wrote:
I have just installed Garmin on my Blackberry Bold and that is just fantastic, so much better than Blackberry's own maps, didnt know Google was available, will have to habve a look.

Where can i get Garmin for my Blackberry?.... I installed the Google maps but the GPS function doesnt work with the bold.

Thanks

Contributor

The GPS works great with the Google Maps? infact I think it is faster than the Blackberry maps, as for Garmin, from www.garmin.com
Contributor

Google Maps will not be able to give you turn by turn direction, although I am not familiar with the BB Maps, but I know that BB Maps are actually not compatible in some countries (if that matters), yet Google Maps work almost every where. If you would like to have turn by turn directions, perhaps you need to subscript to some program or services in order to do so.

Downloaded GMM, ran it. Great. It did not put an icon in APPS or anywhere else I can find. How do I get an icon. BTW GMM is way betterthan ATT Navigator. GMM does give turn by turn directions, just not voice directions.
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Blackberry Maps is not working under ATT service, because Att block the program, for the users use ATT navigator.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.

Oops.... Found it in Downloads. I've only had my 9000 for a few days, plus it is my first BB. Loving it however

Hi. I too have just purchased a Bold and would like to use GPS maps. Please explain the procedure - step by step.

Thanks

DuffyAdelaide