05-24-2012 10:54 AM
06-01-2012 10:28 AM
It appears that this situation is resolved for me after escalation to RIM development. I will have to see how things go over the next couple of days.
My support case with RIM was escalated yesterday, and I'm surprised how it came about. The case was closed on Monday because I hadn't had time to call again to tell RIM that I was still having trouble. I received an email with a link to a satisfaction survey. I responded to the survey with positive marks for the staff's competence and efforts but checked the box indicating that my problem wasn't resolved. I had, quite frankly, given up, and I didn't really expect anything from the survey other than its being tabulated with the other dozens of surveys that I imagined were being processed.
When I received a call yesterday on my cell phone from a blocked phone number, I only answered it because a friend was dealing with funeral and shiva plans yesterday. The RIM agent who called went over the case notes and listened to my tale of despair, in which I told her I was ready to defect to Android or iOS. Then she transfered me to a guy in the next support level. He coached me through getting an event log from my device using Blackberry Desktop, picked up it from email, and said that they would get back to me no later than Monday.
I received another "Calendar synchronization has stopped" email from Blackberry after I went to bed last night, and this morning I went into email options *again*, re-enabled calendar synchronization, and went to work. The tipoff that things were working came when Mozilla Thunderbird prompted me for a "Test appointment" that I had put on the Blackberry a couple of weeks ago.
RIM support really impressed the heck out of me yesterday with their proactiveness. At this point, I'm marking this issue as being resolved, but I'll add other notes if this turns out not to be the case.
06-01-2012 11:06 AM
Weird... I tried getting RIM support as well and it would cost $50 for the ticket. They said that if the problem was found to be their fault, then there would be a high chance I would be refunded. Were you transferred to RIM support from your carrier or something? Maybe they paid for it...
06-01-2012 05:29 PM
06-01-2012 05:52 PM
If this problem had persisted for me, I would have explored alternative solutions, possibly including dropping my data plan and going to a Wifi-only solution. (My daughter is getting by very well with her iPod Touch, and most of the time, I'm easily able to get to Wifi.)
A BB and an iPod Touch are very different animals. BB's, without their data plan, are quite hobbled indeed:
Unlike other devices, BBs depend on services that are hosted at the carriers/RIM for all of the enhanced services that BBs have. Which, btw, those enhanced services aren't for everyone...those who feel they don't want them (or don't fell they are worth the extra money) certainly should entertain shifting to other platforms.
In any event, I agree with your suspicions about the Google Sync being the culprit. That said, the most recent versions of BIS coupled with adequate BB OS versions do have Google Calendar OTA sync capability.
07-12-2012 04:22 AM
I tried another (may be more simple) way of solving the same issue.
Temporarily deleted email accounts synched with Google calendar
Then from Desktop Software cleared all calendar entries on the device (device>delete data>selected data>calendar and calendar all) and set up emails back. It worked for me two times.