Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: EDGE 8300

HELP - CALENDAR DATABASE PROBLEM

Unusual problem with my wife’s BB 8300.  Calendar entries for 3 year period both single and recurring show up in Calendar on the BB 8300 and can be edited and will cause alarms and reminders BUT Calendar entries will not Back-up into an.ipd file.  All other data on BB 8300 will back-up.    I can read ipd files with ABC AMBER Blackberry Converter and Calendar part is empty in the .ipd back-up file.

Additionally Calendar entries will not sync with Outlook, but all other data in the BB 8300 will sync fine. I have tried dual and one-way sync as well as deleting the sync configuration entry in the RIM folder and then re-config. Sync.  Doesn’t help.

Upon examining BB I found clues to cause. No entries listed in Calendar and Calendar Database Size is listed as 0 entries with 0.0K size.

Seems like BB 8300 operating system as lost record of the Calendars existence even though it’s there and running fine.

I am afraid of BB losing the Calendar data and then since there is no back-up or Outlook all will be lost forever.

Is there a way for the BB 8300 O.S. to rebuild it’s record of the existing Calendar  so the Calendar Data can be either backed-up or sync’ed to Outlook ?

Blackberry 8300

Smartphone (EDGE)

PIN: 2405E21E

V4.2.2.89  (PLATFORM 2.4.0.39)

Cryptographic Kernel v3.8.4.47

Micro Edition Config. CLCD-11

Profile:  MIPD-2.0

Media Version: 1.0

File Version 1.0

Memory usage:   Settings - Options – Status:      free: 21,440,710

Total: 55,443,456

( has a 2 gig media card )

Calendar – options:  Number of Entries: 0

Database sizes:     Settings - Options – Status – Database Sizes:

Total Size       887.7K

-------------------------------------------

Address Book                  289 / 53.4K

**  Calendar                                 0 / 0.0K

Content Store                       34 / 797.5K     

Phone Call Logs                 111 / 26.2K    

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: HELP - CALENDAR DATABASE PROBLEM

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Does your wife have an email address/addresses associated with the device? In database sizes I have four to match my four email addresses. You may have looked at the base calendar, instead of the calendar associated with the email address, which should be the default. Go to OPTIONS -ADVANCED OPTIONS DEFAULT SERVICES under calendar CICAL should be your wife's email address.

Then go down to service books, your wife's email address should be listed twice, one for CICAL calendar and the other for CMIME for messaging. If all is in place:

Go to HOST ROUTING TABLES click to enter and menu key - register now. You will get a verification message and new service books.

Pull the battery while the device is ON, replace after a minute,

Let the device reboot 1-3 min

The device should be setup to use the correct calendar.

As far as losing the data. Since you have no Outlook to back up to, I would suggest . Google mobile sync. Open a FREE Google account, install mobile sync on your BB and sync the calendar with the Google calendar as well as your contacts.

Let me get you some links, I'll be right back.

This is a link to Goggle Calendar

Then you just add Google mobile sync to your BB and you should be good go!

For Google Calendar:

http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=98565

For Google mobile sync:

http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=65923&cbid=jh20naie3c9k&src=cb&lev=answe...

Please let me know if you need more assistance.

Thanks 

Message Edited by Bifocals on 10-02-2008 02:08 AM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Thanks for reply.  I'll have to wait until she comes home from work this evening to look into your suggestions.

But I probably should have mentioned that she has no internet service for the BB in our AT&T phone plan.  She just uses the PDA and phone functions.   She had a Palm that broke down and she likes the phone and PDA functions better on a Curve than on a Palm so I got her one. 

So the email suggestions and the 'Mobile Sync' are not available options.

In my forum posting down near the bottom I only showed the Database's that showed any values other than zero except for the Calendar Database in order to illustrate it's zero values.  That's why there are so few shown.

If I do a 'Back-up' into an .ipd file and then go look into it all calendar info is blank ( no enrtries ).    

Do you know how to get the BB to "see" the calendar entries and then begin to show them in it's record of Database sizes.

Guru I

Here is the problem:

When a BlackBerry smartphone contains a compressed ICAL (CICAL) service book (as provided by a BlackBerry Enterprise Server or by a BlackBerry® Internet Service integration), Calendar entries are stored on the BlackBerry smartphone in the service calendar. The value in the Number of Entries field in the Calendar options represents the data stored in the service calendar.

When a CICAL service book is not present on a BlackBerry smartphone, all Calendar entries are stored on the BlackBerry smartphone in the base system calendar. Calendar entries stored in the base system calendar are only recognized by the Calendar application on the BlackBerry smartphone. Therefore, any external application (backup and restore tool, Intellisync®, PocketMac for BlackBerry smartphones, etc.) will not recognize these Calendar entries.

Thanks

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the info.  that explains why backup ipd file is empty of Calendar data.

But .. do you have any idea why when I do a sync with outlook no calendar entries comes through ?

Stays on BB, just won't update to Outlook 

It used to sync just fine until one day about a month ago it wouldn't.   All other data in BB sync's just not the calendar.

And thats what started my looking into whatever was going on.

Mike

Just had an additional thought ... we used to have a BB 7290 and did a backup ipd file on that BB several months ago.  If I go 'look' into that ipd file all of the Calendar entries are there,    But the situation was / is the same .. ie. no internet / email service .. just using the PDA and phone functions.

Only this BB 8300 backups are empty of Calendar entries.

More confused than ever,   Mike

Message Edited by Wingspan on 10-02-2008 11:01 AM
Guru I

Hi,

The underlined portion of my response is why nothing transfer to Outlook.

Did you add any apps or upgrade OS when it stopped syncing?

Anything you can think of would help

Thanks

New Contributor

Sorry for delay.  Wife says she was doing a sync in morning before work and was "taking too long " so she " quit sync" , grabbed BB and went off to work.  When she tried to do another sync that evening after work, wouldn't sync calendar items.  She dosn't remember how she stopped sync that morning but possible she unplugged BB 8300 and went off.   That's when problem started.

My Device: Not Specified

Thanks Bifocals!

I had been using my BB Curve 8310 for basic calendar functions and syncing to my desktop Outlook.  When I activated my BB data plan, registered my email address, and synced my Outlook calendar again, all my calendar entries duplicated.  I followed your instructions to fix the issues and it worked perfectly!!!  Thanks again!