Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Pearl flip 8220
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

HELP - CONTACT EXPORT NEEDED... DEVICE LOST / STOLEN

I was a happy customer with an old BLACKBERRY PEARL FLIP # 8220 that was bought new by my best friend in 2009 or 2010 and given to me, by him, in 2012 - 18 months ago. It was starting to have some right- and left-edge keys working less than ideally but it was still serving my very basic needs: I'm an old-fashioned guy that lives 6 blocks from work and walks 10 minutes between locations... and I only use the internet very sparsely at work and barely at all, at home, and I really don't need it in between those places, so I only have an incredibly cheap TALK / SMS plan - with no data plan (@<$32/mth, total - incl tx and fees!). I send about 2-3 txt-msgs (SMS only) per day; and I get even fewer! I use the talk feature maybe 1-2 times in 2-3 days. I'm a virtual non-user, I admit.  People laughed at why I'd even have a smart phone that literally wasn't at all smart... but it was because I'd admired my friend's phone's appearance and functionality, and because it was free to get from him, and because he helped me switch companies to a lower-cost plan running on GSM (Rogers) not CDMA (Telus). I didn't even use BBM, let alone any e-mail or other internet functions, games, apps, even GPS. However, despite such sparse and seemingly 'dumb' use, I had very valuable contacts in that phone which other people envy... I NEED those.

The DESKTOP MANAGER version that I got from my best friend when he gave me his old phone is v 4.6 - and he said that it had been updated when he gave it to me. I realize that v6 is now standard (or even higher?) and that support for older versions is gone. I also see that v6 has features that 4.6 does not...

I backed it up before I went to Toronto on 13 September. I doubt there was more than 1-2 new contacts, if that many even, that weren't backed up. It was as up-to-date as I could figure...

I'm on ROGERS Wireless in Canada.

So: I had just happend to spot a non-BB phone that I like and I bought it, intending to switch when I got some time. I'm moving out of country in a year and I'm slowly getting things in place for that, and I was planning to switch to a newer phone and thenunlock the BB to have as a spare, but I accidentally lost my Blackberry in mid-week, this past week, when I got out of a cab... and it may be gone forever, now. Just 3 days after getting the next phone that I had planned to use, I lost the old one before I could even switch!  I know ROGERS has a PHONE FINDER function but let's just say that wasn't functional in my instance... we'll leave it at that.

So, phone / device gone!

I am hoping somebody can guide me toward exporting those contacts that are somewhere, somehow existing / resident within DESKTOP MANAGER v4.6 - into some format that I can then use to not have them all lost forever, and then I can re-load them - manually, if need be - to my new phone. I realize they exist but not in any  format that I can view / use, right now.

Can anybody help me?  I see forums / topics and posts that show how to sync the device in such a way as to save for export, synch and create a CSV file, or save for export to EXCEL, but these all seem to require configuration of the DESKTOP MANAGER and THEN a synch with the device... I don't have the device any longer... it's gone. I never did that before because I hadn't expected the need... dumb me, I know!

Can I salvage the contacts from my DESKTOP MANAGER v4.6 somehow?

HELP?

THANKS!

Having read some info on these forums, the ONLY thing which I can even think of doing is to possibly try to borrow somebody's no longer needed BB and with it wiped of THEIR contacts, sync it to my DESKTOP MANAGER and then load my contacts onto that other BB... and then re-sync things back from that BB with the proper buttons checked on DESKTOP MANAGER?  I don't even know if that would work... and I don't seem to have access to spare / un-used BBs from people... nobody whom I know has one, let alone an 'extra' one!

?

Thanks, again,

Paul

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: HELP - CONTACT EXPORT NEEDED... DEVICE LOST / STOLEN

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

First, find the backup data file on your computer. It is normally stored somewhere in the MyDocuments area, but when you ran the backup, you had complete control over the destination folder for the backup data file. Given the Desktop Software version you mention, it likely has an IPD file extension...newer versions of the Desktop Software switched to a BBB file extension, but yours likely is IPD.

Once you find the file, your next step is your favorite internet search engine...the Desktop Software is useless for what you need to do, for it is intended solely as an interface with a BB device...nothing else. Search your favorite Internet search engine for something like "IPD File Extractor" or something similar. There are several out there.

Compare the search results and make your choice -- before you ask, the answer is no...we cannot recommend one over another. You must choose based on your own personal set of circumstances.

Next, obtain that software and use it to extract your data from the IPD file, and save it to a "human readable" format (e.g., .txt, .xls, .csv, etc.).

Once in that is done and your data is in a file format you can use, then your next step is figuring out what you need to do to import to your replacement device. Again, before you ask, there is nothing here in this dedicated BB forum available to help you with that. But, if that device has any import capability, then once you have your data in a usable format, you should be able to manipulate it such that you can format it for import to your new device.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

THANK YOU - I will try that and report back. It looks like something I can follow easily enough.

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Paul

New Contributor

It took until today to find the needed time to set aside, but the instructions given me were very, very clear, the details not overly complex, and despite my being somewhat familiar with things electronic, I really haven't much experience with such kinds of issues - I was honestly worried about my own ability to do this task - yet with your guidance and a clear reading of the websites that I went to... it all truly worked like a charm: I very easily found the necessary file, got the referenced software for myself and managed to make all things work absolutely perfectly. I almost couldn't believe it! 

I now have all of my 500+ contacts completely readable, once more.

Thank you SOOOO much!

Paul

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are very much welcome. Cheers, and enjoy!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................