Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

HELP! Locked Out!

So this is my first Blackberry- I have always been a Palm user (Boo to the PALM).  I have been setting everything up on my new Curve, and being conditioned like I have been in the past with My Palm Treo- I set up a lock code on my Curve.

The first time it locked, I typed in my password, and it was fine.  The second time- I SWEAR I typed the lock code correctly, but it said it was incorrect.  I know I'm not mistyping, but it keeps saying the password is wrong and now I am down to the last try. I don't want to attempt my last try if it is going to erase all of my info.

When I entered the password originally- I used a sequence of 4 numbers (I wasn't focused on numbers and letters. I've tried those 4 keys with and without the num lock on- and it still says incorrect.

What can I do?  I haven't even been able to backup any of my contacts yet and can't stand the thought of losing them!!!!!

Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Re: HELP! Locked Out!

Make sure that the CAP or NUM symbol is not displayed in the upper right corner. I usually just remove the battery and anything like that will be cleared. If you dont get it right after your last attempt the device will clear everything. Nothing you can do about it. There is no way to reset the number of incorrect entries except entering it correctly.

P.S. For future reference you should know that by default the BlackBerry is typing letters when entering password. To type a number in the password you must hit the ALT key then the number. Otherwise your typing letters.

New Contributor

Thanks for the response d_fisher.  I was in quite a panic.  Everything I was reading was preparing me to have all my information erased.  I took your advice, and on my last attempt I typed in the sequence of keys and left both the cap & num off- and it worked.  Tonight was my lucky night I guess Smiley Happy

I had the exact same problem this evening.  I know I had the right password as well - I wrote it down on a separate paper when I entered it, as I hadn't memorized it yet.  It never worked, and I tried both with the alt key and without, just to be sure.  I've only had the device for a few days, so most of my contacts were saved on my SIM, which I had transfered from my old phone.  I'm somewhat of a luddite, so, not knowing if the info on my SIM would be erased when the rest was wiped out, I took it out before hitting attempt #10.    I have my old contacts, but nothing else.  REALLY ANNOYING!  No idea what the problem was, but could it be that I had "911" in the password?  The numbers weren't in that order, but the device kept wanting to make an emergency call when I entered the password, which I had to override.
Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

The SIM card is uneffected by the wipe. The BlackBerry uses the SIM card as READ-ONLY. It does not store anything on the SIM card but will read information from it such as contacts from the previous device.