Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9860
My Carrier: Vodaphone
Accepted Solution

HELP! -My blackberry torch 9860 wont turn on after battery died!

I have a blackberry torch 9860 and a few hours ago I was taking a photograph and it said "battery to low no radio use" so I went to go charge my phone (still on camera) and the screen went black and the red light started to flash, I quickly put my phone on charge (wall charger) to charge my phone, I started to read some things about it and put my phone onto USB charge, I took it off and put it back on wall charge now I have it on USB charge because I read something else but it didn't work, I have only took the battery out once throughout this at the start when I switch the wall charge to the USB charge for the first time but nothing appeared to change. The red light is contentiously flashing now in a sequence gap of 5 seconds. PLEASE HELP! Smiley Sad x

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: HELP! -My blackberry torch 9860 wont turn on after battery died!

Hello,

Please place your BB, with the battery inside, on a known-good wall charger for 2 hours without touching it, no matter what the lights or the display do. After 2 hours, with the BB still on the charger, remove the battery. Wait, with the battery out and the BB still on the charger for 15 minutes. Then, still with the BB on the charger, insert the battery and leave it alone for another 2 hours. Not that, throughout this 4 hour and 15 minute process, the BB must remain on that known-good wall charger...if not, then you have to go back to the beginning and start over.

This process has been known to "kick start" a BB with a very low battery. Plus, if your battery depleted quite far, it can take a while before it has the minimum charge to allow the BB to reboot. Plus, if your battery fully depleted, it could have become damaged, including the the point of non-functionality, requiring a new replacement battery.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for your reply! Does it matter that my blackberry has been on charge over night and continue this process anyway? I'll give feedback if it works, many thanks!

New Contributor

I have done the 4 hours 15 minutes solution what do i do now? It is still continusoluy flashing red. Also how do you kick start your blackberry or is there any other method i can use? Please reply i despreatley need your help!!!
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hmmm...well, with that process, if it was going to work, it normally would. The next things to try are:

1) Obtain a known-good and already fully charged battery...put it into your BB and see what happens.

2) Obtain a known good identical BB...put your battery into it and see what happens.

The results of this will help indicate if your battery or your BB has gone bad.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Telus

My post was censored and removed.  I have had the same problem 3 times over the past 2 years.  The first time, Telus replaced the phone immediately as I was told it was a factory defect.  The second time it happened within within the warranty period and TELUS decided to send it to BlackBerry to get it repaired.  Phone came back 4 weeks later and worked properly but, within a month had the same issue, does not boot up. Third time and three weeks later a new Torch came back from BlackBerry without any word on what was wrong with that phone.  Now I am staring at the same problem on the THIRD TORCH I HAVE HAD IN TWO YEARS!!! What kind of defective product is BlackBerry shoving down our throats.  As consumers we should expect what we purchase to work and not have to waste 4 hours reloading this and uploading that. Frankly I don't want to find the time to upload a bootfile that is missing, WHY IS IT MISSINg? Why is there a problem in the first place with the phone.  If there is a defect, own up to it and recall them.  I have had BlackBerries for the last 10years, this one is going into Lake Ontario and I am buying a an ANDROID.  Its funny how even the sales people at the corporate TELUS Store and the tech support staff on the phones told me to just chuck it and never buy another BlackBerry again because they are also sick and tired of letting their customers down. 

New Contributor
My Device: torch 9860
My Carrier: digicel

i bought a brand new blackberry torch 9860...used it for 5 months...all this time i only used it for music some videos and messaging all the videos and music i have been using were on the phone since it was bought five months ago.... i have never dropped, wet, hit, squeezed or done anything to this phone and one day the software just crashed on me...i carried it back to the dealer and they said that they could not do anything with the phone...thanks blackberry for my relatively brand new paperweight...apparently its a software problem and according to the dealers there is nothing they can do to even reset the software...i think i'm going android now...

Hall of Famer III

danewolfgang wrote:

i bought a brand new blackberry torch 9860...used it for 5 months...all this time i only used it for music some videos and messaging all the videos and music i have been using were on the phone since it was bought five months ago.... i have never dropped, wet, hit, squeezed or done anything to this phone and one day the software just crashed on me...i carried it back to the dealer and they said that they could not do anything with the phone...thanks blackberry for my relatively brand new paperweight...apparently its a software problem and according to the dealers there is nothing they can do to even reset the software...i think i'm going android now...

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Well, that's really a shame that they diagnosed your situation that way...of course, at an internet distance, it's rather difficult to challenge that. But, did they even try any of these 3 rather drastic procedures?

If the problem truly is software (as they told you), then one of these certainly should be able to recover it. Otherwise, it would then be deemed (IMHO) a hardware problem, for which your warranty certainly should cover given what you've said here.

So, I'd advise you choose what to do...

1) Sit as you are and choose to accept their diagnosis, doing nothing to actually challenge it, accepting that the people you spoke to actually have adequate knowledge and ability to try and rectify your situation (which, from what you describe, I seriously doubt!)

2) Go back to them and escalate, especially if you procured your BB through them...who is responsible for what portion of your warranty varies depending on how you procured your BB. If you procured it through them, then they are responsible for getting you going again under all circumstances I can think of (short of user-caused physical damage, of course). If you did not procure it from them, then that might explain why they are reluctant to help...device-level warranty support is provided by the device supplier.

3) Try the above things yourself to see if you can recover your BB for continued use. From what you describe, something definitely should work to recover it, even if you lose all of your on-device data.

Good luck and let us know!

New Contributor
My Device: torch 9860
My Carrier: digicel

thanks i'll try these...i was venting a bit and i wasn't going to sit around...i was just pissed that it happened cuz that phone it just awesome lol and the ppl that sold it to me soo **bleep** ignorant sigh....btw just wondering how come you know sooo much??? and i'll keep you updated on what's going on with the phone....much tahanks again BLESS!!!

Hall of Famer III

danewolfgang wrote:

btw just wondering how come you know sooo much??? 

I've been hanging around this site since 2008, and have had the benefit of some really smart folks (also regular volunteers here)...so, basically, I've picked up what I know over time, and choose to share it freely here.

danewolfgang wrote:

and i'll keep you updated on what's going on with the phone....much tahanks again

You are most welcome...good luck!