Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

HELP!!!

i involuntarily took a swim. Phone will not turn on. tried a different battery. I have critical data on the device. I need to recover it.  I don't care if the circuits are fried. THERE HAS TO BE A WAY! If the CIA or FBI has got the technology, why can't i find someone who can get me what i want? PLEEEEEEASE Help. Thank-you.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: HELP!!!

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

REMOVE YOUR BB BATTERY NOW!!!

Run, don't walk, to this FAQ:

Do everything it says, including waiting the maximum recommended time. Applying power to your BB between it getting wet and doing this process reduces the chances of success. Further, the only thing predictable about moisture intrusion into a BB (indeed, any electronic device) is that the results will be unpredictable. I've seen some come back up right away and be fine. I've seen others never work at all. I've seen still others run for a bit, and then die later. And every thing in between.

That said, the time to deal with your issue was before the need arose...backups are neither an optional nor a reactive activity. They must be done regularly so as to be protected from just this type of situation. IMHO, the BB itself is a commodity...the data on board it, however, is priceless. Fortunately, RIM provides multiple FREE methods to protect your data...but they can do nothing to protect against a human failing in all of that.

I would surmise that you will need to find someone in-person that is qualified to do what you are considering attempting. There are no standard user-accessible "tools" to do what you desire.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I thought i had a recent back-up file. I could of sworn i had a recent back up file. But its not there. odd. The thing is that most of the data back-up programs in the past have been very unstable. Mobile back up is one of those. Data back up as well. These data back up Apps don't back up everything. That's the problem. They don't back up th full content of a Task for example. Please help me find someone who can do what i need.
New Contributor

Is there nobodty at RIM i can pay to recover the data?
New Contributor

I do belileve that everything has a price.
Solutions: 6,358
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

1. The more you try to revive your now wet BlackBerry, the greater chance there is you will continue to fry the device.

Dry it out as sdgarne describes above.

2. Yes, there are companies who do data recovery on BlackBerry. it can cost upwards of $1,000 - minimum.

3. You're completely wrong about the data backup software. They do work - - and work well. If you don't use them, they obviously don't work at all.

4. This is a user-to-user community support forum. We are not RIM employees, but volunteers who enjoy assisting other users. RIM personnel rarely comment on queries posted here. You would have noticed this in the EULA and message upon registration.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Agreed with JSanders...the Desktop Software backups backs up the complete contents of all databases on the BB:

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

Depending on which version, it may also back up the contents of Device Memory, but I always recommend manually copying, via Mass Storage Mode, the contents of Device and Media Card memory to the computer at the time of doing the weekly backup. Oh, and allowing BB Protect to back up what it can (which is a subset of the above databases) on a daily basis is also useful.

As for assistance from RIM, there is something called incident support, but it costs to just ask the initial question If you wish to investigate that, you can review it here:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................