Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry bold 9900
My Carrier: 3

HELP

blackberry 9900.... i can go on it for a couple of mins and then it will toatally freezing and only the scroller button will stay lit, i wait for ages so it can kick in but it never does! sometimes it always switches its self off after doing this, ive updated the OS bundle ect to try and make it work,its working at this min but i dont think it will last long. its really starting to bug me!! ive cleared the event log and also deleted running apps and unistalled apps + deleted photos. nothing seems to be working!?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: HELP

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thank, but I don't think its my battery that seems to be the problem.. ive tried all that already it still continued to do it. ive pressed ALT lglg and that's seemed to work for the moment.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

daynabaldwinx wrote:

Thank, but I don't think its my battery that seems to be the problem

Well, I've seen a bad battery cause strange things...but if you are convinced, then that's fine.

daynabaldwinx wrote:

ive tried all that already it still continued to do it.

Oh...you didn't say that up front. Sorry to waste your time with redundant advice for you.

daynabaldwinx wrote:

ive pressed ALT lglg and that's seemed to work for the moment.

Interesting...I've never seen that help anything...it provides access to the logs, from which perhaps other things could be gleaned...but doing just ALT lglg alone I've never seen actually help. I'm glad it helped for you.

So, things are all good for you now? Or do you want more ideas?

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Well I got told it slows your phone down & most people told me to do it, but no it didn't work, ill be on it normally then the screen will remain the same but all keypad lighting will go off other than the 'scroller pad' light and I cant use to touch screen or anything, it just freezes for hours and hours for no reason
Hall of Famer III

daynabaldwinx wrote:
Well I got told it slows your phone down & most people told me to do it, but no it didn't work, 

Can you tell me what "it" is in this section? I've no idea...nor do I know what did or didn't work here. Sorry, but I'm having a great deal of trouble following your words to understand your situation.

daynabaldwinx wrote:
ill be on it normally then the screen will remain the same but all keypad lighting will go off other than the 'scroller pad' light and I cant use to touch screen or anything, it just freezes for hours and hours for no reason

Ummm...OK...then what do you do? Just what for those hours?

Here's something you can try...boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode and if the behavior stops, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

If the behavior continues in Safe Mode, then your original idea of a WIPE might have merit, as well as might a clean OS reload of your device OS.

New Contributor

your sarcastic comments really are not helping. im trying to put it in clear so sorry if you dont under stand, it basically just freezes for hours,with the screen sometimes still on and sometimes it just re-starts its self. i sometimes wait for it to sort its self out and other times i take the battery out ect, ive wiped it,updated OS,removed apps. i rarely even download apps anyway,i think i have tried everything, ive gone and bought a new battery JUST incase that is the problem but im still not convinced it is, if i could show you photos of what the phone does i would..
Highlighted
New Contributor

i tried that safe mode and currently still using it, does it matter if i exit it or not if it preventsmy phone from freezing? or do i eventually have to exit it? and at the top were it normally says my network '3' im still connected and still can have phone calls ect?
Hall of Famer III

daynabaldwinx wrote:
your sarcastic comments really are not helping. im trying to put it in clear so sorry if you dont under stand,

I'm not being sarcastic at all...I honestly want to help you, but to do so, I need to understand what you are saying. If you want to work with someone else who maybe can better understand what you are saying, that's fine too...

daynabaldwinx wrote:
it basically just freezes for hours,with the screen sometimes still on and sometimes it just re-starts its self. i sometimes wait for it to sort its self out and other times i take the battery out ect, ive wiped it,updated OS,removed apps. i rarely even download apps anyway,i think i have tried everything, ive gone and bought a new battery JUST incase that is the problem but im still not convinced it is, if i could show you photos of what the phone does i would..

Well, while rare, a "new" battery can be defective...finding someone with an identical BB who has no issues like this is usually better...swapping batteries with them to see what happens.

I'm understanding better your situation now...here is some information that might help you root out the actual culprit:

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for many models. If they include your model, then please use those as reference as you proceed. Otherwise, you will have to dig through the official download portal for OS packages for your model:

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try this procedure to perhaps narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

Hall of Famer III

daynabaldwinx wrote:
i tried that safe mode and currently still using it, does it matter if i exit it or not if it preventsmy phone from freezing? or do i eventually have to exit it? and at the top were it normally says my network '3' im still connected and still can have phone calls ect?

To be at truly full function, you have to exit Safe Mode and return to normal mode. But your result leads to a deduction that something in your add-ons or 3rd party apps is the culprit. So continuing to remove those and running in normal mode might eventually lead you to deduce the culprit. Alternatively, the process I gave you above would do the same thing.

Good luck.