Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: HOW DO I COPY CONTACTS TO SIM?????

TomD1 wrote:

Thanks for yo9ur help. Will I be able to select my address book only to reinstall?

Yes, just as noted in the link I have given you... please read it.

Post back if you have questions about those instructions.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

arpit127 wrote:

Now I want to copy all my contacts from the Blackberry Curve to my SIM so that I can use them meanwhile the phone get repaired. Please tell a suitable way as copying 600 odd contacts one by one doesn't seems to be a feasible option.

Correct, that is not feasible... instead, you want to backup your old BlackBerry before sending it for repair and do the SAME things as already advised in this thread, to restore the Address Book to the interim device.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Orange

Well no, it is not a stupid function to have at all, it is infact a very useful function. ever thought of an error message that says 'not all numbers will be copied... option 1. copy as many as possible 2. copy selected? its like blackberry only employ uncreative business men with no idea about interfaces or design
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

gillakbs wrote:
Well no, it is not a stupid function to have at all, it is infact a very useful function. ever thought of an error message that says 'not all numbers will be copied... option 1. copy as many as possible 2. copy selected? its like blackberry only employ uncreative business men with no idea about interfaces or design

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Actually, when you research this further, you will discover that the SIM phone book is much less robust than the BB device address book. For instance, the SIM phone book is restricted to one name/one number while the BB address book can have one name/multiple numbers (plus much more information). This limitation means that where, for instance, you had one name with 3 numbers (e.g., home, office, mobile) in the BB address book, when you copy to the SIM you wind up with 3 completely separate entries (and none of the "extended" data you might have had for a contact entry). Hence, using the SIM as a medium for transferring the address book to another device is not at all advantageous, and hence the reason RIM provides much more robust methods to accomplish this (preserving the 1:many capability).

This limitation is not imposed by RIM...rather, it is a limitation of the SIM technology itself...

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

sdgardne wrote:

gillakbs wrote:

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Actually, when you research this further, you will discover that the SIM phone book is much less robust than the BB device address book. For instance, the SIM phone book is restricted to one name/one number while the BB address book can have one name/multiple numbers (plus much more information). This limitation means that where, for instance, you had one name with 3 numbers (e.g., home, office, mobile) in the BB address book, when you copy to the SIM you wind up with 3 completely separate entries (and none of the "extended" data you might have had for a contact entry). Hence, using the SIM as a medium for transferring the address book to another device is not at all advantageous, and hence the reason RIM provides much more robust methods to accomplish this (preserving the 1:many capability).

This limitation is not imposed by RIM...rather, it is a limitation of the SIM technology itself...

Good luck!

It is your responsibility, RIM, to develop ideas that benefit users and instead of picking on a basic SIM storage system (name+number) think about how BB services can make the most of this basic system.

Say i wanted to copy all numbers to SIM from my contact list, my Blackberry should know to copy only the name and the mobile number, excluding home and work numbers, address, group. This would speed up the whole process and transfer of numbers between devices.

Afterall not many people fill in all the details like address and email etc. when the number is the key field that is needed to make the call. The one to many relationship problem that should be retained during transfer of contacts is maybe an area to look in to, to potentially create a new medium for mass, automatic transfer of contacts between devices.

Im not at all happy with the one-by-one transfer im doing now!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Ummm...sorry...but do you think that, here in this forum, you are talking to RIM? Because, as the EULA you agreed to when you signed up stated, such is not the case. Everyone here in this community is just another user, "out there", volunteering here to try and help out other kind souls to the best of their abilities. Ranting at RIM here can, therefore, be pretty pointless...

In any event, RIM does indeed provide robust methods for transferring contacts between devices...but to be robust, they must avoid the SIM (since that's where the 1:1 limitation exists, and RIM cannot override that). If you'd like to know more about those robust methods that RIM does provide, just ask.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

[ Edited ]

gillakbs wrote:

You're really not a happy person at all, are you? Yes, it shows.

You can copy the entire Address Book IF you explained here what your end need might be, there very well could be another process to get you what you need.

gillakbs wrote:

Afterall not many people fill in all the details like address and email etc.

Yes, many do. Just because you don't, doesn't many many do not.

gillakbs wrote:

Say i wanted to copy all numbers to SIM from my contact list, my Blackberry should know to copy only the name and the mobile number, excluding home and work numbers, address, group.

As explained again, RIM does not control the SIM card technology which allows only ONE number PER name. The SIM card doesn't know which number is a home, work or mobile number.

You have a very specific need. Just deal with it and if you need help here, please ask and be kind in return.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

needed somewhere to vent my frustration and with these 'residential experts' on the forum threads someone with some knowhow is hearing my message.

Afterall other phones have the function im after so its not like im asking for something stupid

sdgardne wrote:
Ummm...sorry...but do you think that, here in this forum, you are talking to RIM? Because, as the EULA you agreed to when you signed up stated, such is not the case. Everyone here in this community is just another user, "out there", volunteering here to try and help out other kind souls to the best of their abilities. Ranting at RIM here can, therefore, be pretty pointless...

In any event, RIM does indeed provide robust methods for transferring contacts between devices...but to be robust, they must avoid the SIM (since that's where the 1:1 limitation exists, and RIM cannot override that). If you'd like to know more about those robust methods that RIM does provide, just ask.

New Contributor

JSanders wrote:

gillakbs wrote:

You're really not a happy person at all, are you? Yes, it shows.

You can copy the entire Address Book IF you explained here what your end need might be, there very well could be another process to get you what you need.

gillakbs wrote:

Afterall not many people fill in all the details like address and email etc.

Yes, many do. Just because you don't, doesn't many many do not.

gillakbs wrote:

Say i wanted to copy all numbers to SIM from my contact list, my Blackberry should know to copy only the name and the mobile number, excluding home and work numbers, address, group.

As explained again, RIM does not control the SIM card technology which allows only ONE number PER name. The SIM card doesn't know which number is a home, work or mobile number.

You have a very specific need. Just deal with it and if you need help here, please ask and be kind in return.

no, im not happy with the substandard performance of my phone, and many do not in  the real world, its not that much of a specific need.

You can rely on no further custom from me as i am fed up with countless flaws my phone has.

Hall of Famer III

[ Edited ]

gillakbs wrote:

needed somewhere to vent my frustration and with these 'residential experts' on the forum threads someone with some knowhow is hearing my message.

Afterall other phones have the function im after so its not like im asking for something stupid

Uhhh...OK, I guess? I really can't tell if you're still asking for help or not...can't tell.

No one has told you that what you are asking for is "something stupid". Rather, we're trying to help you do whatever it is that you need to do, but so far you've not explained that, so all we can tell you is that the method you are trying (copy to SIM) works the way we have described (one by one) and the (frustrating) way you are experiencing...we can't change that.

But, if we knew what you really were attempting (e.g., moving your full address book over to a Nokia), then we might be able to point you in other directions. But, from what you've elected to reveal, we cannot begin to guess how to help you.

Then again, with you saying "someone with some knowhow is hearing my message", it might be that you are getting help elsewhere...but you leave us guessing.

We'd really like to help you, but guesswork is a terribly inefficient method of doing so, don't you think?