Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

HS-700 Ear Hook Replacement

[ Edited ]

A few months ago I purchased an HS-700 Bluetooth Earphone unit. This is a rather expensive accessory. The ear hook broke. I have been scowering the net trying to find who would sell a replacement.

The Blackberry dealers who I contacted do not know where I can find one. They have the same problem trying to find them for their customers.

I do not want to go to the trouble of having to make a reliable one myself. This would be a home made gadget, and I should not have to resort to this for such a high end accessory.

You would think that for the cost of this device, there should be replacement parts available!!!

Would anyone know where or how I can get a replacement ear hook.  I am located in Quebec Canada.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Solutions: 6,348
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: HS-700 Ear Hook Replacement

Jerry, I've looked, and I recall Knottyrope has looked also, and to my knowledge, there is no replacement ear hooks available. And I agree, there should be!

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Advisor III

[ Edited ]

I hope someone from RIM is reading these postings. This is going to spread like fire that we cannot have simple spare parts for such an expensive accessory. The other manufactures offer spare earhooks and silicon ear inserts for their earphones. I was able to find these spare parts for all the other manufacture high end earphones.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Forums Advisor III

[ Edited ]

To answer my own problem where it seems that I had to take resolve the hard way. I ended up having to make my own ear hook for my HS-700.

I used length of jewelers type brass tubing like what is used in clock making and repairs. I am used to doing precision work with small pieces. This was very time consuming.

I got as close in diameter as possible to the width of the ear hook plastic channel. It was about 2.6 mm dia. I could have used a flat rod of 2.6 mm X 1.6 mm to start with. I chose a round type because this was easier for me to work with.

I used the broken pieces to take exact measurement for the shape and length. I made a template from the original pieces. I reproduced its pattern exactly, using the brass tubing. For the insert end, I squeezed the tubing down, and filed it to exactly match the original plastic part. I used a micrometer to make sure it was as precise as possible.

The next step was to plastic coat the tubing, because brass is not a good metal to use in constant contact with skin, as like with copper. I was not going to want to make it out of gold or silver because of the great cost, even though I could do that.  I slid a cut length of 3.5 mm heat shrink plastic tubing over the length of the brass part of the new ear hook that was not going to be inserted in to the earphone's hear hook slot. I shrunk down the heat shrink tubing using a heat gun at about 270 Deg F. This made it form a nice smooth plastic type finish on the new ear hook.

After inserting the new ear hook, I had to fine bend it to the right amount so the earphone would sit exactly in the correct height postion to my ear with the rubber insert. This worked out exactly perfect for me. It was sort of like when the optomitrist adjusts your glasses frame to fit exactly to your face.

The original ear hook was made of a sort of springy plastic that would self adjust to the proper fit position. This made it less critical than with using a metal that is sort of solid.

I have no idea of what the hundreds of people out there are doing for a replacement ear hook for this earphone.  I think it is pathetic that we cannot purchase replacement hear hooks for such an expensive product. For the Motorola, Jabra, and the others it is possible to buy replacement ear hooks. and rubber ear inserts. They come in bags of multiples for under $10 to $12 for most makes.

When I went around to a few stores, some of the sales people told me that they are not recommending the Blackberry Bluetooth earphones because of this problem. They had customers come in who were extremely angry about this problem. These are major sales places for electronics and phone products.

As far as the performance of the HS-700, it is the best performing and simplist earphone I ever used. That is why I did not go through with the temptation of returning it and buying another brand. Unfortunately, the average person is not skilled enough or equiped with the proper tooling to make their own quality ear hook like I did.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

I read your message and looked at the picture. The orientation of the hook is quite strange, how can this fit on a human ear?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Forums Advisor III

[ Edited ]

The ear tansdoucer is rotated to turn on the device. It then fits.

The earhook shown in the pictrure is an exact replica in shape and size as the original. It was made from a template that was made from the original that is broken. It can only fit two ways; left and right side.

Jerry G

Jerry G.
Visitor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

The answer is simple, take a look:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MGVPWU. It is exactly the same. I just got the one.

My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: FIDO

I, too, purchased an HS 700 only 6 months ago and the earhook broke. I contacted Blackberry and they emailed me back with the suggestion to buy another one (entire bluetooth device). From this email, they lost 7 Blackberry customers as my entire family switched to Android phones.
Angry Sue
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry HS-700 Bluetooth Headset
My Carrier: Digicel

Smiley Mad

I have the same problem. A few months ago I bought this expensive device and already the hook has broken. No replacement available. Shame on you BlackBerry!

Forums Advisor III

The solution I used was to make one. I used a solid copper wire of 16 AWG. I had to fine file the end to the exact proper size and shape to fit the earphone insert slot. I used the broken earhook as a template.

I then cut and bent the wire to exactly the correct shape and length. Then I put on heat shrink rubber tubing. I used an IR heat gun to shrink the rubber tubing.

The final part was adjusting the new ear hook to fit to my ear lobe. Being made of metal makes it very strong.

The average person would have a difficult time to make a piece like this. I used to work in making very tiny mechanical parts and circuits for electronic device prototype projects.

I think its a terrible thing that Blackberry does not supply spare parts for their earphone. As good as this earphone is, I will not buy another one because of this. I also tell people to not buy this accessory because if they need any spare parts they can't have them.

Jerry G.
Jerry G.