Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable

I am having trouble connecting to the internet when using the "browser" on my bold. I get the message "HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable". Since i can connect to the internet using the MEdia Net i dont think my connection is the problem. I have tried to research myself the problem but am having trouble trying to make it work for the Bold. the most common answer seems to be:

Cause 1

The BlackBerry Mobile Data System (BlackBerry MDS) is not enabled for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and the BlackBerry device user account.

Resolution

Enable the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server by completing the following steps:

1. Click the Server Configuration tab.
  2. Expand Service Control & Customization.
  3. Click BlackBerry MDS Connection Service.

Enable the BlackBerry Mobile Data System for the BlackBerry device user account by complete the following steps:

1. Click the User Configuration tab.
  2. Select the BlackBerry device user account.
  3. Expand Service Access and clickEnable Connection and Collaboration Services.

Which i am having trouble trying to get to work for the Bold. Can someone walk me through how i can fix this for the Bold because I can't find the Configuration tabs. Is there a number i can call so someone can talk me through it? Many Thanks

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: HTTP Error 503: Service Unavailable

[ Edited ]

Is your browser called "BlackBerry Browser" or just "Browser"?

The above steps are done from the BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server). If you're device isn't connected with a BES then those steps don't apply to you.

Have you tried resetting the device already by removing the battery for 1 minute?

Message Edited by jmrmb80 on 11-07-2008 12:50 PM
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor

It reads Blackberry Browser.

How do i know if i have BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server)?

Elite I

Are you receiving corporate email on the device. The BES is setup by the IT department at your company, and all the data (email, address book, appointments) syncs wirelessly to the device.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Elite I

Have you tried this:
  1. On the BlackBerry smartphone, open the BlackBerry Browser application.
  2. Display the menu and select Options.
  3. Click General Properties.
  4. Click Default Broswer and select BlackBerry Browser.
  5. Display the menu and select Close.
New Contributor

i am recieving corporate email. so should i let me IT handle it? would rather do it myself to be honest.
New Contributor

I have done this and it was already defaulted to Blackberry Broswer so that is not the issue.
Elite I

OK. If you changed the value of the default browser to Internet Browser does it work now?

The reason your media.net works is b/c that is going through the carrier. The BlackBerry Browser is going through your company's network. So if they wanted to they can restrict you from going to certain sites.

Can you not get to any external site? Can you get to intranet (internal to your company) sites?

New Contributor

Internet Server works! I guess big brother is watching and doesnt want me on blackberry browser.

Elite I

[ Edited ]

Nice!   Smiley Happy

Yes, since that browser is going through your company's network, then your IT dept would have to make the change that you first posted about on your account on the BES.

Glad you can use that browser now to get to site. Alternatively you can also download the OperaMini browser.

If you think the issue is resolved can you resolve this thread? That way others can easlity find the answer if they're having the same problem. Thanks

Message Edited by jmrmb80 on 11-07-2008 01:34 PM