Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: TIM

Re: Handheld application Loader Wizard

sorry but I don't find its!

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Z30, Torch 9800, Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

OK, there is another way of locating the' Apploader' folder using the’ Search’ function of Windows Explorer.

If you have XP these are the steps:

Open Windows Explorer (click the green ‘Start’ button right hand side (RHS) bottom on screen, select run and type in the command line 'explorer' and then click OK).

Click the '+' sign on 'MyComputer' near the bottom in the LHS under the heading

Find (CSmiley Happy close to My computer and move your mouse over (CSmiley Happy and right click your mouse. Scroll down and select 'Search...' . A new window opens and into the first line type  'Apploader'. The second line stays empty, the third line should show you the (CSmiley Happy again with some name in front of it. Now click ‘Search’, wait a bit, and it will show the folder to the  right under ‘Search Results’.

Double click on 'AppLoader' folder and you will see many files with 'loader.exe close to the top. Move your mouse over it and park it there. (a message box opens and one can write down the version of the loader file to compare it later with the proper one. Also notice that the address bar now shows: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader, the location of this folder. If you double click it on it you get the 'Handheld ...'error)

Leave the mouse over the 'loader.exe' file and click the 'Ctrl' button on your keyboard, hold it  down and then type a. The result should be: all files are now highlighted 'blue'. Right click the mouse without moving it away from the park position and select 'Delete'. A message box should pop up and ask you: Are you sure you want to send these 34 files to the Recycle Bin? Select 'Yes'. (the number varies, e.g.. 31,32,...)

Now there are two ways to get rid of the 'Handheld ...' error message. Un-install and remove the device software if you installed it as described before and then try this first:

1) Leave the DTM as is (don't re-install it), just reinstall the device software again (the idea here is that the Applauder folder is empty so that the proper files can be loaded during the reinstallation of the device software).

or if you never installed the device software in the first place

2) Reinstall the latest DTM with the Apploader folder empty and start DTM without an installation of the device software.  (The DTM creates the Apploader folder when it installs the first time on a computer. I have DTM running on a laptop without the explicit device software and it runs just fine).

In case you tried 2) first but the error message appeared again well, then try 1) and find the proper device software for your device (explained before), then delete the Apploader files again because by installing the DTM it also installed new Apploader files (sorry).

I hope this tip to load the DTM or the device software with an empty Apploader folder present will work for others too. It seemed to work also for forum member Csub. This makes 2 of us which had success. If it works for you, can you click on the  Kudo spot in the posting window when you return  a message? 

Trusted Contributor

Correction: Somehow the spell checker replaced "C:" with happy faces in the above posting. Disregard the happy faces.
Also I missed one click instruction previously. When you select "My Computer" click on it before you can see the "C:" below it. Sorry.
New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: TIM

i tried both your methods this afternoon but the did not work.

I don't know what i have to do.

I want send an email at Blackberry so they will work on this bug!!!

who know blackberry support email????

Trusted Contributor

I am not aware at this point in time of support by RIM via an email address.
This BB Forum is the next best thing of getting user support in lieu of getting it from RIM. If anybody out there knows a 'port hole 'address into RIM, better let us muggles know.

If the 'Handheld...' error is still present in your PC software I will offer 2 suggestions.

First let us verify the following before we download any Device Software, e.g. in our case device software for the Torch 9800.

Open the 'All' Screen on the Torch, scroll down and select 'Options', select 'Device', scroll down, select 'About Device Versions'.

The third line down is important for us, and you should see one of these 3 lines:

1) 6.0 Bundle 2647 (v6.0.0.600, Platform 6.6.0.223)
2) 6.0 Bundle 2391 (v6.0.0.534, Platform 6.6.0.200)
3) 6.0 Bundle 0695 (v6.0.0.246, Platform 6.4.0.105)

Mark down your version number or remember 1 or 2 or 3 so you can chose the proper version for your PC when you download from this site:
http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

After selection of your service provider, in my case 'Bell and selection of my Handheld device, in my case 'Torch 9800' I found these 3 device software download options:

1) BlackBerry Handheld Software v6.0.0.2647 (All Languages)
2) BlackBerry Handheld Software v6.0.0.2391 (All Languages)
3) BlackBerry Handheld Software v6.0.0.0695 (All Languages)

Note, that RIM calls the above software 'Blackberry Handheld Software' but we find it under 'BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites'. I guess, 'Handheld software' is 'Device software' and the 'Handheld...' error could have been called 'Device Software Application Loader Wizard' which would point us to the above site more easily.

The next page requires filling out some boxes with your personal information before you can download any software.

After I did this I downloaded for 6.0 Bundle 2391:

‘9800AllLang_PBr6.0.0_rel2391_PL6.6.0.200_A6.0.0.534_Bell_Mobility_Inc.exe’

and stored it in my 'Downloads' folder. Check under 'My documents' in Windows Explorer whether you have a folder called 'Downloads'. If not create it. It comes in handy and save your download file there.

Now, I cleared the Application folder as described before and double-clicked the downloaded file in folder 'Downloads'. It said:

Extracting Blackberry 9800.msi then
Decompressing Blackberry 9800.msi, etc.; follow the instructions and don't start the desktop manager yet.

Check after the installation is complete what version is now in your application folder, i.e. what is the version of loader.exe? Is it different than when you started? Double-click loader.exe and see if it works. If it does not work then the problem is somewhere else. If the loader.exe version is the same as before then this suggestion does not work.

Second suggestion: RIM is very fast of fixing issues it discovers and often comes out with updates to fix issues which we users are not even aware of.

I am sure RIM fixed the 'Handheld ...' issue some time ago by updating their PC or their device software. So there might be a way out of this 'Handheld...' issue if you can check out if you are eligible for a new OS (Operating System) update. Go to your Torch, select Options, select Software updates and hopefully you can select update my device. This solution circumvents the Desktop Manager which has a problem loading the application loader wizard.

This update selection will download a new version of the Torch OS and is like if Microsoft would download a new version of the Windows OS on your PC. The difference is that Microsoft can't do it except for some application updates but RIM can do both, update your whole OS and update some applications..wow..

The first time I tried to update my Torch OS there was a server error. 2 days later RIM had fixed the error and the server installed v6.0.0.2647 after first saving my data files.

Once this step is complete the 'Handheld...' error should be history and one can get rid of the device software and only run the desktop manager, i.e. delete all previous device installations and only install the newest desktop manager. If the error is now gone there could have been an issue with the Torch itself, which it was not in my case.
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

This seemed to do the trick!! Along with going to the At&T Tech Support office in Rancho Cucamonga and exchanging the bad one for a new one.  I'm going through right now and restoring from previous cell (Curve 8530) to the Torch 9800. Hopefully, everything will transfer correctly. The charging icon is on the main home screen!! There's light at the end of the tunnel, folks!!

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

NO HANDHELD ERROR! It's a miracle... Now hoping all my data is transferred from one phone to another.....
Contributor
My Device: blackberry Torch 9800

Here is another solution, similar but a little different: Okay it is a little complicated but it does solve the problem and you will then be able to update your device and access applications on your device. The problems we've all been having lies with what’s in the file: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. Please don't ask me why because I do not know, I just know that the version that is staying in this file is causing the 'Handheld application loader wizard error'

I will go through how to avoid this error in simple steps but I must add if the steps are not followed exactly right it will not work and you will continue to get the error.

1. Please access this file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and delete the contents of the folder so that it is empty. If you can't delete all contents make sure all Blackberry software is exited and then try. Other than this delete it straight after you start your computer.

2. Uninstall all Blackberry software using add/remove programs. Leave no software on your computer of Blackberry.

3. This is where it may be different for different people. Please open this page using Internet Explorer (I tried using Firefox first and I could not initialize the link after I downloaded it ):
http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

4. On this page select your country and service provider. In my case this was Orange UK in Europe. Then please select your Smartphone from the drop down link at the bottom and then click next. You will then notice 3 different download links appear underneath that with three different versions. If you don't know what version your device currently is please on your device go to Options>About device versions on the main screen. This will then tell you your bundle number, version number and platform number. You may then think hold on my version number and platform number does not match any of the download links. Don't panic neither did mine. So I selected the nearest matching by closest digits. Alternatively you could try them 1 by 1 but I didn't have to myself.

5. After you download the link please run it and install it. You should then have the right device software in your C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader folder. To then update the device please use this link. Do not install Blackberry Desktop Software to update the device or access the applications.

To Update click:
http://us.blackberry.com/update/
This should then update your device with out any problems. If it does not work go back to steps 3 and 4 until you have the software for your device, Country and service provider.

To access your applications on your device is a little different. Please connect your device via USB cable. Please open folder: Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader and double click 'LOADER' This will then take you through the process of accessing applications on your device. Again if this doesn't work you need to go back to steps 3 and 4 and get the download you need for your service provider and device.

These options are not ideal but they are a solution until Blackberry finds the real cure for the problem which I'm sure they will. If you would like to add to my steps or have a better solution please feel free to mention it and I will also try them myself. This how ever was the only method that I have managed to get to work for me at this time. Please if you need to ask anything because you don't understand the instructions, do so and I will try and explain better. Good luck and please leave your feedback.