Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9360
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Hangs up on reboot

My 9630 has had a few "lock-up" issues lately over the past few weeks and today my blue tooth interface with my car was malfunctioning.  Assuming there was some issue with the BB I decided to just pull the battery and reboot the device.  The reboot process proceded normally (takes several minutes normally) but this time the progress bar on the screen advanced to about the 2/3 point and stopped.  No further progress.  I let it sit there for 10 minutes and it still will not progress.  I do carry about 3500 contacts but this reboot process has never been this long.  Can anyone tell me what I should do?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Hangs up on reboot

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

While this makes no logical sense, try leaving the battery out for at least 10 minutes.

Otherwise, you can try booting up in safe mode:

KB17877How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in safe mode

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I hit the escape key once the red LED went out and it still hangs about 2/3rds the way through the progress bar.  Any other ideas?

New Contributor

Phone doesn't get past the 2/3rds point on the progress bar nor will it boot to the safe mode.........HELP!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Keep trying Safe mode. I know that on mine, it does not work quite identically to the KB process. On mine, I must wait until the boot-up progress bar starts...and then press the ESC key. I tend to press it a few times during the progression of the progress bar...not sure if it matters, but that's what I do. It took a few tries for me to get it right.

Also, be sure to wait quite a while...10 minutes may be insufficient. Try 15...or maybe 20. I really don't know. Plus, booting into Safe mode is no quicker than a normal boot.

Lastly...hopefully you already have a recent backup of your data or are synchronizing to your PC app (e.g., Outlook) or are on BES. If you can't get it to boot up, there will be no ability to now take a backup.

Keep trying and let us know.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: tour 9630
My Carrier: verizon

This same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. It'd get about 3/4 of the way finished then stop. I switched batteries, let it sit without a battery and even let it sit frozen for 8 hours hoping it would continue. I finally got so fed up I went to Verizon. They told me the operating system had crashed and I needed a new phone. Awesome. Hope this helps!

New Contributor

It gets better. I did the same thing, took to Verizon and they said the same thing. "Nothing we can do, we think the memory module must have failed."  So using an upgrade I take home one of the new iPhone4's and start learning the whole new world of Mac. (I love going to my kids all the time saying "how do I..."  But just for grins I rebooted the BB and plugged the power cord into it and went to bed.  Lo and behold, sometime in the night, the BB came back to life and rebooted.  I took the battery out and rebooted the device about 5 times and it worked perfectly over time.  So now I have a perfectly good BB and an iPhone.  Bottom line, I wonder if the 3600 contacts I have in the BB caused the BB to take hours to reboot?

Hall of Famer III

Hi again,

Wow...what a nightmare indeed.

ripit wrote:

It gets better. I did the same thing, took to Verizon and they said the same thing. "Nothing we can do, we think the memory module must have failed."

You have to remember that it's the very very rare carrier agent who will spend any time actually diagnosing anything...the default seems to always be to replace. Why they choose to do that, I've no idea...but that seems to be a common thread of information we receive.

ripit wrote:

Bottom line, I wonder if the 3600 contacts I have in the BB caused the BB to take hours to reboot?

Given that you rebooted normally 5 times, I kind of doubt it...unless you deleted them after finally succeeding at an overnight boot up. Then again, each bootup does some amount of "housekeeping"...I suppose it's possible that there was a ton of that to do, but it completed during the overnight boot...and was not as extensive those next 5 times. We probably will never have more than theories about it, though.

Cheers!