Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8520 & curve 9360
My Carrier: orange

Hardware Fault or Web Site

[ Edited ]

We have bought a Ninja tracking device after being told it works with blackberry.  Web site claims it works with all smartphones. 

Access to tracker info is via a web site, there being different site for mobile phone access, the mobile phone access is what we want to use.  This only works partially since there is no map (fairly important with a tracker).  I believe the site uses the google maps api  with css from url and other java scripting urls.

When I talk to their "Support" all I am told is my phone is faulty and I won't get my money back.

My phone works fine on other sites and with google maps.

How do i find out if my phone has a fault or prove my phone is not faulty!

Thank you

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Playbook 2.1/ Torch9860 OS7.1.0.746
My Carrier: Globe

Re: Hardware Fault or Web Site

Are you using it on 8520?
...........................................................................................................................................................
Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up Smiley Happy

Blackberry Battery Saving Tips | Follow me on Twitter

New Contributor

That is correct it is the 8520 that does not load the maps

the 9360 loads the maps but frequently the web site crashes when we use the zoom in and out buttons.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

The 8520 doesn't have a buil-in GPS so you can't get a position lock. Therefore, you can't view your location

As for the 9360, I think it's more on the website's fault.

First, try the Blackberry Protect. You can see where your devide is online, with a map, as long as a device's GPS is on.

If you're able to view your location via Blackberry Protect, then it is the website's fault.

Highlighted
New Contributor

The tracker device supplies the location which is then supposed to display on a map on the web site.  This is not the phone's location but that of the tracker device.

I am aware that the 8520 does not have GPS chip.  The system works by  when logged into website you can request "Locate me now"  the website server then sends an SMS to the mobile phone section of the tracker device whice then aquires a location from the GPS section of the tracker device and sends this back to website server via another SMS.  The website then provides location details in text and on a map canvas using  the googlemaps API  it is this section which does not work.

I too beleive it is the website's fault, however, they claim it works with all smartphones and I must have a "hardware fault" which they can do nothing about.  It is the 8520's complete lack of a map which is of the most concern. 

Thank you very much for your time and effort it is appreciated.