Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BB Classic
My Carrier: Koodo

Help! Can't sync my hotmail calendar to my BB bold 9790

Hi, this is very confusing.  I have previously been able to sync my hotmail calendar to my corresponding hotmail calendar on my blackberry bold 9790but it stopped working last week.

I have deleted and re-setup my hotmail account on my BB.  Now the email works and the hotmail contacts are syncing with my BB, just the calendar is not syncing.

My understanding is that you just set up a hotmail account in your blackberry and it will automatically set up a corresponding  Contact List and Calendar and that they will automatically  sync to your phone.  This is what was working for me up to last week. 

I have seen people write in the forums that you can check off "wirelss synchronization" for your hotmail calendar, but there is no option listed for this on my BB (for the hotmail calendar)

I have deleted and re-added my hotmail account to see if I can kick-start it to no avail.  The blackberry DOES add a corresponding Contact List and Calendar, and it DOES sync the Contacts, it just does not sync the Calendar now like it was before.

I have spent about 30 hours on this and I am at my wits end.  Blackberry phone support tells me to call my service provider, the service provider says it is a hotmail issue, hotmail doesn't know if blackberry's can do this etc etc.

I am really hoping for a knowledgeable blackberry support person who knows how to make this work for me again!  Any insight into this would be much appreciated.

If you tell me that I cannot sync my calendar wirelessly and automatically, can you tell me if there is any workaround for me to get my Hotmail calendar events to update to my BB?  ie.  is there any way to sync a hotmail calendar to my BB bold 9790?

Thanks so much in advance.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Help! Can't sync my hotmail calendar to my BB bold 9790

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Refer please:

• KB00561 How to configure wireless calendar synchronization on a BlackBerry smartphone

The most telling bit from your post is, to me, this:

suemack902 wrote:

I have seen people write in the forums that you can check off "wirelss synchronization" for your hotmail calendar, but there is no option listed for this on my BB (for the hotmail calendar)

That would seem to correspond to the final statement in the above KB:

• If there is no option to select Wireless Synchronization, that particular email account does not support wireless calendar synchronization.

But, given what you describe, I'm not at all sure about that for your specific situation. I've never integrated a Hotmail account until I got my Z10, so I don't know if it was ever supported...sadly, there is no master list of what services are compatible with BIS for Calendar sync (there is a list for Contacts, and it includes LIVE/Hotmail/etc.). But the fact that it does not make the required offer normally means that the service is not compatible with BIS. Why it might have been before and is no longer is a bit of a mystery.

Unless -- I know that BIS gets updated from time to time. I suppose it's possible that older BIS versions supported Hotmail for OTA calendar, but the newer versions no longer do. And, you may have been using your carriers older BIS until they finally had to EOL it, at which point you would have been forced to the newer BIS that they'd deployed, at which time what worked before would have ceased to function. Such would completely explain the sequence of events that you've laid out.

Sadly, there is no remedy...if Calendar is not offered, as per the above KB, for OTA synchronization, then it is not available, and there is no remedy with that particular service. Shifting to a service that is still compatible would be the only remedy available to continue with OTA synchronization.

I know that's not a "good answer"...but it's all that I can think of given what you describe has happened.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks SD so much for your reply.  Evben though the answer sucks, mostly because the calendar sync was working previously. 

It does seem to me that for the big services such as hotmail, gmail, yahoo, there should be some clear guidance on this.  Is there not someone who can tell me definititely that it is not possible to sync my BB with hotmail calendar? 

Following up on your comment, do the Z10 (and the Q10) sync with hotmail calendar?  Do we know if that works for sure (documented and proven)? I mayt have to upgrade. 

Is there anyone else who knows the answer for sure?  I am still holding out a tiny amount of hope that I can figure out a way to get it working again...

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

suemack902 wrote:

It does seem to me that for the big services such as hotmail, gmail, yahoo, there should be some clear guidance on this.  Is there not someone who can tell me definititely that it is not possible to sync my BB with hotmail calendar? 

Official answers can only be obtained via official channels...which, other than the official KBs, is only available via formal support, which would start with your mobile service provider, who could escalate the case up to BlackBerry if needed. There is no other channel by which to obtain any official answers.

suemack902 wrote:

Following up on your comment, do the Z10 (and the Q10) sync with hotmail calendar?  Do we know if that works for sure (documented and proven)? I mayt have to upgrade. 

100% yes. I am using it now. You can read about it here:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks again SD, I appreciate you taking the time to provide good feedback and useful links.  Alos good to know that the Z10/Q10 will do what I need...

It looks like I will have to upgrade...

Anyone want a used Bold 9790?

S.

My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Its not pretty, but  if you have Outlook Calendar on your computer that syncs with Outlook calendar in the cloud, you can sync the Outlook on your computer with the blackberry using the blackberry desktop software.   It wont sync directly with the calendar if  you use Outlook connector, so you have to copy to a temp calendar and then sync using the desktop software....its ugly, but it does work.

Regards

**bleep**