Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Pearl 8100

Help My phone won't charge

So I haven't used my phone in 2 months but when I plugged it into charge it's not charging there is just a picture of a battery with a red line through it on the screen. It won't turn on or anything either. It's never done this before what do I do?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Help My phone won't charge

Hmmm...lots of guesswork needed...

I suggest removing and reinserting the battery several times. You can also try using a pencil eraser lightly on the contacts. What you are trying to do is to remove any buildup on the contacts so that they connect to each other...they can oxidize over time and sometimes that can block the flow of electricity.

Also be sure to leave it to charge for at least 2 hours before attempting to use it.

It is also completely possible that your battery is now useless and a replacement might be needed.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

Thanks I will try that. But is it possible for the battery to just become useless just like that because my phone is not even a year old yet?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Anything is possible. If it's a Li-Ion battery, then it is more likely -- they actually don't like to be drained completely.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

ok thanks alot for the advice. It is beginning to look like I may need a new battery after all.

Highlighted
Solutions: 6,397
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

jessi,

Here are some good charging tips, please read and you'll see that many of them will apply to you.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Maximum_Battery_Life
And here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Community-Post/Power-Saving-Tips-for-your-BlackBer...

Leave the device to charge 2-3 hours, and then, still connected to the USB cable, remove the the battery from the device a few seconds and reinsert it. If it boots--leave it to charge to 100% (check Options > Status for the percentage).

If it doesn't boot--try using a wall outlet charger if you are not. If you are connected via USB to the PC, make certain that you have Desktop Manager (or the USB device drivers) installed, which you can download below.

Make certain your USB cable is connected to one of the PC's main rear USB ports. Not a USB hub, nor a monitor USB port, nor a USB port on the front of the PC.

Read this article also: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynamickc.do?externalId=KB18223&sliceID=1&command=show&forward=nonthr...

Download Desktop Manager from here:
https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code