Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Help! Storm keyboard won't respond

My Storm camera went a bit screwy a few days ago. After I took a pic it kept taking pics on its own, as though the button (on the side of the handset) was stuck. I powered it down, but when I started it up again none of the keys would work.

The handset powers up properly, receives data fine, and the touchscreen "responds"  to my touch (by highlighting when I touch symbols), but none of the keys respond when I actually press the screen. Also the physical keys (Make Call, Blackberry, Back and End Call) don't work either. In effect, my handset is locked.

When the screen goes to sleep I can't wake it up. I can see emails, texts, tweets and stuff appearing but I can't read them, nor reply. I've tried battery pulls to no avail. Is there anything else I could try before putting the handset into the hands of the repairers?

Thanks.

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Help! Storm keyboard won't respond

My first thought is moisture damage.

Even sitting on a bathroom counter during a hot steamy shower or bath can cause keyboard and trackball problems UNTIL properly dried out.
It really is more common than you think.

1. Remove the battery immediately!! Do not attempt to turn on your BlackBerry.

2. Let the device dry in a warm, dry place for 3 to 5 days* (see below)

3. DO NOT "check it each day" by placing the battery in. Leave it be to dry completely. This takes time. Replacing the battery to check it can only damage it more (moisture + electrical current = disaster).

3. If the device is warm after the drying period, allow it to cool to room temperature before placing the battery back in.

*Suggestions on drying your BlackBerry in a warm place (open, with the battery out):

• Place the BB in a container of dry UNcooked rice, and then you might also place it in any of the locations mentioned below.

• On top of any dry heat emitting electronic component: TV cabinet or CRT, LCD, cable TV/Satellite converter box or plasma monitor

• On the dashboard of your car on a sunny day

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for that comprehensive reply. The problem occurred almost a week ago (on holiday) and I've kept the battery in ever since apart from randomly pulling it to reset the handset. It even ran completely dry of charge and was left dormant for few days before I decided to recharge it.

A week later the problem persists. Am I too late? Surely it would have dried out by now?? Or not? If drying out hasn't taken effect could the damage be terminal?

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

You won't know for sure until you followee the tips.

Good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: storm 2

mines the same-I returned it once already and its happening again, the key pad is impossible to use it lasts approximately half an hour and then resets itself and its okay for acouple of hours and starts again.

I feel like throwing it in the bin and getting an  i phone!

New Contributor
My Device: 9550

Mine, too!  I've had this 9550, an upgrade to my wonderful 9530, for about a week.  I've begun to notice already that the keyboard freezes randomly.  Rebooting doesn't help, wrapping the darn thing on a hard surface does!!!!!!!!!!!  Not a good idea but it brings results.  I've contacted by wireless provider and they're willing to send a new phone and did report a year-old history of freezing screens, but no ne complaints.  My problem is that I've installed a custom adhesive cover on the back of this unit an also a click ZAGG screen protector, both to the tune of about $40.00 and therefore do NOT wish to exchange this phone, losing that money.  Arghhh!  When the screen freezes, mostly when I'm out in the field, the phone key sort of works but again, nothing else.  Can't scroll, can't type, etc.  Never, never had this problem with my 9530!!!  No moisture issues either. . . Baffled and hoping it simply goes away in time.  Probably ain't gonna happen. . .I welcome any further input 'cause I'm hooked on the BlackBerry culture/system!Man Sad

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9550

[ Edited ]

Well, another very frustrating day with the 9550. Nothing new to report other than the same intermittent locked screen continues:  The detent mechanism on the screen appears to be at fault the most with the inability to scroll around the screen equally frustrating.  Right now on the the phone, I can get the screen to detent (pushing on the screen results in a beep and highlighting the icon/task desired) but then I cannot navigate at all within that task as the navigation seems to have a mind of its own!!!!! It goes where it wants and I'm just a victim!  So, a new 9550 is coming along via Verizon.  The tech/sales person on their end noted some emergence of touchscreeen woes, so perhaps those of us griping on this Forum are in the vanguard of this latest round of bad phones.   Me, I'm about to EAT $40.00 wasted dollars for the custom (as mentioned earlier- a Zagg screen protector and cool custom pic overlay on the back of the phone) screen protector and overlay on the back battery cover of the unit!  Buyer of the 9550 beware!  I loved my previous Storm, it worked mostly flawlessly, requiring occasional hard rebooting (removing battery).  Sure like the WiFi on this Storm 2. . So maybe, just maybe we'll get it right this next time.  Stand by. . .Smiley Mad