Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Not Specified

Help! Turn off at UNWANTED times

Everytime I leave it unattended for like, two minutes, it SHUTS OFF. Not just the screen and it doesnt lock up, it shuts off completely. And YES it's charged! It takes forever to turn on and off, and I get aggravated easily

Someone help!

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Help! Turn off at UNWANTED times

what OS version is on the device?

Look at Options > About, third line down beginning with a "v.4.xxx"

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

Just trying to help here;  Mine does not do what yours is doing. After a period of inactivity, yes the screen goes blank, but then all I have to do is touch the screen and the application I was last in comes up. The version I have, as I just got my BB a few weeks ago and it is a Verizon, is   v4.7.0.75I\

I hope this offers some insite.

If you don't plan for where you are going, you will end up some where else!

MIke
Contributor
My Device: Storm - 9530 v4.7.0.75

Mine does similar things, like wearing the holster, whip it out to use it and it is powered off with no knowledge of how long it has been off. I am past being irritated with a costly product that has way too many bugs for it's price and supposedly smart features.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm BB 9530T - Verizon

Sorry that you are irritated but I suppose it doesn't help to know that my phone doesn't have the problem.

If you have Verizon or other CDMA service then the issue may not be with the phone but with updating the PRL.  Have you called your carrier and asked them about the problems?  If you call *228 and enter option 1, then option 2, you may find this issue clears up.

Other possibilities are a defective battery.

Both of these can happen to any phone.

Contributor

I own two Storms and one of them had this problem.  It was an OS (operating system) glitch.  I had a knowledgable Verizon tech reload the OS and the problem was solved.  However, I have friends with the same issue and he did not have such luck. The Verizon store he took it to did not have such a good tech (I guess) and he had to exchange the phone.  Since then No issues.  I will add that I have had no further shutdown issues with the reloaded phone. 

If you decide to go through an OS re-load make sure you do it the safest way.  Over the air programming takes the longest and remember that anything over the air is subject to possible interferrence from other broadcast sources or just the random jerk who drives around with a cell phone blocker. 

Hope this helped.

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

Just curious;  Are you using a OEM holster? I am using both OEM and aftermarket and the aftermarket one is the one I have problems with. Like when the phone rings and I pull it out of the holster, it does something?? and I cannot answer the call. I need to recall the sender. But that is with the aftermarket holster's only. I think they are too tight a fit

What other issues are you running into? I just rec'd my Storm and want to be on the look out for things.

If you don't plan for where you are going, you will end up some where else!

MIke
Contributor
My Device: Storm - 9530 v4.7.0.75

The holster that I use was purchased at a Verizon store with a Verizon Logo so I assume that it is OEM.

I sent the first 3 BlackBerry Storms back for issues, this is the fourth.

Of course I have called Verizon who told me that this is a known issue that they do not currently have a fix for; they agreed to replace my phone, but that the new phone would have the same issue.

They offered that in 2 weeks a new softwarre update was coming out that should address the issue.

I await somewhat patiently with a 2 year contract that I believe Verizon is in default on due to breech of defective product.

As far as other issues:

Unit freezes coming out of alarm clock snooze mode requiring a battery removal reboot.

Unit freezes after playing music for 3 hours (flight) requiring a reboot.

Unit freezes switching between bluetooth music and phone calls.

Unit loses original caller (caller can no longer hear me after switch - yes I checked Mute) when swapping between incoming calls; call must be terminated and recall contact.

Touchscreen sometimes sticks with the last character highlighted rather than changing and selecting the current character depression.

Unit will routinely reboot after long phone calls (20+ minutes).

Unit fails to alert me to some phone calls.

Unit will show 4 bars (full connectivity) yet when a phone call is made unit then shows very low bars and loses call.

Unit voice and speaker volume and clarity are horrible. My old Sprint phone from 2001 had better sound and the I-phoneis hands down better for sound quality andvolume.

Who ever the brainiac was at RIMM that decided e-mails and voice calls should be grouped together in one mailbox is a total **bleep**.

So yes I give Verizon yet another several weeks to come up with a fix.

And perhaps the Verizon Staff is not up to technology speed on this item, which would then be all of Verizon and RIMM stakeholder's problem.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

DiceDawg wrote:

Who ever the brainiac was at RIMM that decided e-mails and voice calls should be grouped together in one mailbox is a total **bleep**.

Hi!

I'll not delve into the rest of your items as you seem to have the answers you need...there are many concerns with the device, however, and a regular battery-pop reboot is the current prescription (as a preventive measure). Yes, it's not optimal -- but that's the state of the device today (tomorrow may be different!).

Concerning the one item I quoted above -- that's actually already an optional item. To stop logging calls in the main "Messages" app, open the Phone app (press the green hard key) and then select Options > Call Logging...you can on that screen select what gets logged into Messages (including None). As always, the call log remains available from within the Phone app.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Do any of you have skin on your phone to protect it?  I am having the same problem and I think it is because the phone is overheating and can't get any air circulation through the "VERIZON AND BLACKBERRY APPROVED" cover.  The more I use my phone the warmer it gets. Just a thought.