Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Help! Turn off at UNWANTED times

Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone! I am on my 4th Storm and I am still having problems with it "rebooting" by itself several times a day.  I have tried everything! Nothing works, I just can't believe that everyone isn't having this problem, what are the chances that I just happened to get 4 "defective" storms?  Good luck and if you find a solution, please let us know.

ShaeBird wrote:
Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone! I am on my 4th Storm and I am still having problems with it "rebooting" by itself several times a day.  I have tried everything! Nothing works, I just can't believe that everyone isn't having this problem, what are the chances that I just happened to get 4 "defective" storms?  Good luck and if you find a solution, please let us know.

I am in the same situation...I got my first Storm on Feb. 7, 2009 and I have had 3 new ones making my current storm #4 because of reset problems.  My Storm resets several (sometimes 4 times in one hour) times a day.  I have done hard resets, soft resets, new service books, you name it...it's been done. Half of the Verizon reps tell me that it's a known issue and the other half have never heard of that problem...It flashes a blank white screen with a little box that says "Reset Error: Device 52."  Is anyone else having the same problem?  I am waiting for the new OS (which no one seems to know when it is coming out) because there is a changelog out there that lists a bunch of fixes including random resets.  I am curious if it is some corrupted application but I have not downloaded any shady apps.  The first two I downloaded were Google Maps and Weatherbug.  Any suggestions?

Same problem here.  Smiley Mad
Contributor
My Device: Storm - 9530 v4.7.0.75

The *228 does not allow for an option 2 nor did it help the problem at all.
Contributor

So what you are telling me is that this is mostly due to insufficient training on Verizon's side of the issue. Yes, I have recognized that some techs in stores are better then others.

As this is my either 4th or 5th BB Storm in over the past 4 months, I am tiring of helping Verizon to fix their Issue!

I am traveling, studying, changing to a Laptop and moving all in the same time frame and my decision to purchase the BBS is now very much regretful as I truly need a dependable phone that I don't have to keep fixing, reloading my data and wondering if I am missing calls due to the extraordinary features of the BBS.

Is their a "list" of qualified technicians that I can reference to locate a store near me that can fix this issue?

Contributor

What you say is true but it does not solve the issue.

The issue is Phone messages, misses, calls --- ie everything Voice should go in one folder,

Emails go in their folder, and ...

text whether sms or mms should go in the text folder.

Those options are not available on my phone as seperate issues.

Contributor

Thanks Chammock,

Yes I have the plastic film cover as well as the hard acrylic snap cover as I found that without that cover, one might hit any number of external controls on picking up the naked BBS thus causing all sorts of grief in anwering a call.

Your insight raises the reason for the 1st return, the BBS got too hot to hold while charging (in its case) and shut down. I removed the battery, let it cool down and replaced the battery to recieve calls while making  my way to the store to have it replaced ... as I did not want to risk either the unit or battery being damaged at the start of a 2 year contract.

No it was not the power outlet, I have a line filter/surge protector in line and have used other electronic equipment from that outlet as well with no problems.

The other BBS's have not repeated the over-heating issue to that degree as of yet, but they still get alarmingly warm from time to time.

Contributor

Thanks Shaebird,

My daughter and her boyfriend love their BBS and think I must be doing something weird as they don't have these issues.  I am glad to meet someone else that has these issues - as a "not the only one" confirmation. (Sorry for our BBS issues!)

I was feeling so bad about this perhaps being  my issue that I kept the phone over my trip to San Diego Texas and Florida to see if perhaps I just needed time with it.

NOT!

So now I am over the 30 Day Verizon return policy but might use the Florida Lemon law if Verizon does not get this issue resolved.

Contributor

Same issues, same tech responses and ..., not that I am over the 30 day mark, stores try to shew me off to the "call Verizon" - who do 3 things:

1) Tell you that they can exchange it, but that it might have the same issue.

2) Tell you that a new download should be available in about 2 - 3 weeks that should fix that issue.

3) Make you confess that they were helpful before they will let you off the line.

Highlighted
Forums Advisor I
My Device: Storm2 (9550)
My Carrier: Verizon

I understand that is frustrating to have the phone re-boot randomly, mine does it too.  But, I don't understand some of your logic. 

It's pretty well known and accepted that the re-booting is caused by an OS issue, yet you have returned the phone up to at least 4 times and gotten a replacement, but guess what? - they all have the same OS!  So, the problem is going to be the same no matter how many times you replace it. 

I've had the same original device I got in Nov, the day after release.  It re-boots, but until a new OS comes out that fixes it I don't see the point in getting a new device.  

Some things to note:  I had once installed Weatherbug, but noticed far more re-boots - so I uninstalled it.  Now, not so many re-boots. 

You also mentioned that after listening to music for 3 hours on a flight it re-boots.  It could be a combination of extended use coupled with the phone trying to locate you (or your service) after you landed.  I commute about 35 miles one way to work where the cell service is sometimes spotty.  I listen to music on my ride in and have noticed that the phone will ding indicating a new message, so I touch the screen to see who it was and sometimes (and I believe depending on where I am in terms of cell coverage) the phone will re-boot.  

I really do hope that the OS update will be released soon and that it will address this problem.  If the phone continues to re-boot after the OS update that is intended to fix the re-booting has been released, then I will be looking into replacing the device.  

PS, you have a 1 yr warranty on the hardware.