Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: none
My Carrier: orange

Help - how to fully remove "Blackberry Desktop Software 6.1" splash

Hi

Some months ago, and purely as a favor I installed Blackberry Desktop Software V6.1 onto my PC (an old but faithful Vista box). I don't own or use a Blackberry (I prefer Nokia ... but what can you do, eh?) but someone who was visiting me did have a Blackberry and wanted to use it and access the Internet and asked if I could install this RIM software. A big mistake ... read on.

When the visitor had left, I naturally removed the Blackberry software (exactly as one does for all Windows based PC's). At the time, it seemed to have worked as this software disappeared from the set of installed programs.

Except that I clearly didn't remove it completely. Since that time virtually every time I use any software of any genesis that requires access to either image or video files (the most recent occasion being Picasa 3) I see a splash screen ...

... titled: Blackberry Desktop Software 6.1
... saying: The feature you are try to use is on a network resource that is unavailable
... and: Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Blackberry Desktop Software.msi' in the box below

I can cancel the splash and it simply re-starts. This splash is linked to a variety of different windows processes depending on the application (in the case of Picasa the process was called "moviethumbs") which I then had to remove by erasing the entire process tree with the Windows Task Manager. And it still re-started after a few seconds as long as the application was executing.

I have discovered (from various bloggers) that removing this Blackberry software using the Task Manager still leaves remnants and I've had to use the RegEdit utility to clean up RIM (& Puma Technology) entries as they suggest.

But the **bleep** splash still won't die - can anyone (maybe even the vendor) help me to remove every last trace of this benighted program?

Thanks

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8520 RIM
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Help - how to fully remove "Blackberry Desktop Software 6.1" splash

Hello murphythedog,

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums!

To fully delete BlackBerry Desktop Manager what your going to do is go in to your Hard Drive and go into Appdata(For Windows7) and find Research In Motion Ltd delete that and your done!

If this helped please mark this comment as the soulotuion! Thanks!