Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9700 bold
Accepted Solution

Help needed with bbm

Hey everyone, So I have a bit of a problem with blackberry messenger.

I am currently overseas, and left my sim inside my phone and turned the mobile connection option off, and only left wireless on. My blackberry messenger was working perfectly on wifi.

However, I was corresponding with my phone provider and I told them to switch my number back to prepaid as I will be overseas for a couple of months. That took place this morning and I'm assuming around the same time blackberry messenger stopped working as well.

I am able to browse using the bb browser, however messages are not being delivered (a tick appears but no D(elivered) sign) and I am not receiving messages either.

Now I don't understand how them switching my sim to prepaid makes a difference? It was not like I was on roaming or even using the phone for the mobile network option. I checked the host table routing and the numbers are present. This is what it looks like:

GPRS AU (505) [5050030]

Wi-Fi [60]

GPRS AU (505) [5050030]

GPRS AU (505) [5050030]

GPRS AU (505) [5050030]

I don't understand what the issue is. Could anyone here please help me with this?

Thank you Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Help needed with bbm

I don't know who your "home" service provider is, but very few provide BlackBerry data services on a pre-paid SIM. So, basically, when your SIM changed from contract to pre-paid, you lost access to the BlackBerry Data plan on your contract account. No BBM, no email, etc.

Yes, your Hotpot browser will work via any WiFi connection, but that's about it.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

How does the sim even understand that it has switched from contract to prepaid as I wasn't even using the sim's properties or connections. I had turned connections off? That's the bit that's baffling me the most. And it's not like it finds the connection here when I switch it off it says SOS. So how did it figure out that it was on prepaid? So confused.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

hey helpmeep,

your sim doesnt decide whether or not you have a bb data connection or not. by calling your provider and asking them to switch your plan, they took off your bb data plan as a result. therefore because on their end they shifted your plans, you will not get any blackberry data until they re-enable your data services. if you want your BB data to go back online you need to call your provider and see what your options are with the pre-paid plan they put you on. hope that helps. good luck!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
New Contributor

Thanks so much guys

but i still cant understand how my phone knew that it no longer had a data plan when it wasnt even connected to ANY network, and showed the SOS sign, so i'd expect it to have the same properties as when I left australia, as long as i did not take the sim out of the phone.

Anyway I guess these are technological issues I cannot get my head around, haha.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9700

hey,

dont sweat it! things are complex all around! your blackberry data plan is tied to you in two ways. one through your carrier and two through your PIN on your bb. so when you initally were able to receive your BBM messages your PIN was still active for the BB data plan but after you took it off via the phone call your PIN was disabled for any data plan. hope that helps!

J. Rab (Blog) (Twitter)
--
1. If you liked my post or found it useful please click on the thumbs up and provide a Like!
2. If my post solved your problem please click on the Accept as Solution button. Much appreciated!

Approved Apps: OnTrack | ssShots | Hangman
New Contributor

Thank you, that makes sense Smiley Happy

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberyy 9900
My Carrier: Tmobile UK

Hi,
I got my blackberry in the US and tmobile is my carrier. However, I am on vacation in England and have gotten a tmobile uk sim. My ubersocial, my email and my browser are working, but my twitter for blackberry hardly ever refreshes and I have to keep signing in and out. The problem I am more concerend about is my bbm. Since I got the tmobile uk sim, I can receive messages from only contacts who are in the UK but everyone anywhere else is unable to message me. An 'x' appears when they try to message me. When I message them, it shows the 'D' and actually delivers to them, but they cannot reply. I have called both my career in America and in the UK and both have not been able to resolve my problem. I need help ASAP. Thanks.
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You carrier in the US has nothing to do with this now, as long as you now have a TmobileUK SIM card in it.

It's odd that only UK friends can message you on BBM.

Have you rebooted the device (powered on, remove the battery for a minute)?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberyy 9900
My Carrier: Tmobile UK

I have rebooted more than 10 times and deleted and reinstalled the app more than 5 times as well.