Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell-Aliant

Help retrieving an encrypted .mp3 off phone.

I have an .mp3 file on phone right now and it has the encrypted .rem extension at the end of the file. How do I copy this .mp3 file onto my computer. For some reason that one file is the only .mp3 file on my phone with the .rem extension, and it's the only .mp3 I don't have a copy of on my computer. I tried dragging it out of the blackberry desktop manager list and dropping it onto my desktop but it still has the encryption. I went into my phone settings and I unchecked both the device memory encryption and the media card encryption but that file is still encrypted. The file is currently on the media card. Please help me. I really like this .mp3 and I want it on my computer.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Help retrieving an encrypted .mp3 off phone.

Hi Apathygrrl,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community.

To remove the encryption from this file, I would suggest first re-enabling the encryption on your media card, and then trying to use the the BlackBerry Desktop Software to synchronize it from the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer. This should remove the encryption. For further steps, please see the following KB article. "How to save or copy encrypted files from the media card in a BlackBerry smartphone to a computer" KB31506

Once you have done this, then you can disable the encryption on your media card again.

Please make sure you are using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.1 or higher. You can download the latest version here: http://blck.by/13EyIE4

Let me know if that helps.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Sorry, FrankieS. It didn't work.

I did everything you said, and when I copied the file to my computer it didn't have the encrypted .rem extension after the .mp3 anymore, but the file won't play. I tried to open the .mp3 in windows media player and it says "The file you are attempting to play has an extension (.mp3) that does not match the file format. Playing the file may result in unexpected behaviour." It asks me if I want to try to play it anyway and I click yes, and then it says "Windows media player cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." I tried to open it in another player and it wouldn't play the file either Smiley Sad

I can still play the file on my phone though.

I copied a different .mp3 file and worked fine. This one file just doesn't want to cooperate. And it's the only one I don't have a backup of. It's a sound clip from the movie Inception. It's only 3 seconds long. Is there any way to fix it?

New Contributor

So, any ideas on what's wrong with my phone? Is it double encrypting that file or something? You didn't forget about me did you? Cat Sad

Sorry if I'm being a nuisance.