Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Help with Roaming BIS

Hello everyone,

I recently moved to Koodo after having been with TELUS, Rogers and Fido. 

With all the carriers (except Koodo) whenever I would travel overseas, I would just connect with wifi to get BIS activation. I wouldn't even have to turn on network connections. 

Once I got here and connected to wifi, I realized BIS didn't work. I called Koodo and they said you need to have two add-ons one of which costs $2. The guy also said "but you will incur roaming charges since you will be using the data of the country you're in" - I knew this information anyway because I never used roaming data, I Would always connect to wifi. 

So even after subscribing to those add-ons, and turning wifi on, I am still not connected to BIS. Does anyone have any clue why?! This service worked perfectly fine with previous providers and I never paid anything for data roaming. 

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Help with Roaming BIS

Perhaps the two add-ons have not taken effect, and sometimes you must turn on your mobile network (which means roaming on the foreign carrier) for that to push to your device. If you are only connected via WiFi, it may not take effect, as the Koodoo network may have to be able to 'touch' your device via the mobile network.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I've already incured $12 worth of data charges... So I kn...

I've already incured $12 worth of data charges... So I know the device is "touched" or "connected". As soon as I turn off roaming, the 5 dots disappear and my emails/BBM stop working.

Browsing + whatsapp for example continue to work. 

Re: I've already incured $12 worth of data charges... So I kn...

The BlackBerry logo being present on the homescreen indicates the BIS plan is connected.

I suspect Koodoo has not registered your device for international data. I can't fix that. RIM can't fix that, only KooDoo can do.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates

Re: I've already incured $12 worth of data charges... So I kn...

OH by the way, the mobile network, are leaving ON the Data Services? You must leave that to ON.

Knowledge Base Updates