Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

Help

I apologize if this is in the wrong section...

I recently transferred from my Torch 9800 to a Bold 9900.

I already have contacts on the 9900 before I found out about the restore of my old phone.

I then restored my torch 9800 onto the 9900, and it deleted those contacts. Not only that, but my bbm contacts that were supposedly saved onto my blackberry ID didn't show up on my 9900...

Any help?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Help

You should be asking this question in the general support forum.  I will move your message there. 

Thanks,
Pratik Sapra
Gaming & Apps Consultant
Developer Relations
@pratiksapra
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Help

Spavvy wrote:

I apologize if this is in the wrong section...

I recently transferred from my Torch 9800 to a Bold 9900.

I already have contacts on the 9900 before I found out about the restore of my old phone.

I then restored my torch 9800 onto the 9900, and it deleted those contacts. Not only that, but my bbm contacts that were supposedly saved onto my blackberry ID didn't show up on my 9900...

Any help?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please expand on the exact steps you undertook...from your post, there are several possible methods you could have used, and each method would have a different resolution path from this point. So we need to understand the exact things that you did. Step by step would help the most.

What you should have done was, when your 9900 was totally new and empty, use the Device Switch Wizard to move everything from your 9800 onto your 9900. It sounds like you actually started to use the 9900 before doing any data migration from the 9800, and then used some process (I don't know which one you used) to move data from the 9800, which wiped out what the 9900 contained -- a completely expected outcome, btw...most all of these process are a "copy and replace" function, not a "copy and merge".

Further from what you describe, if you had no backup of the 9900 data when you did this function, then whatever was on the 9900 is permanently gone, not recoverable. Recovery would depend on a source for restore...if you have no source, you can have no restore.

As for BBM, if your 9800 was running BBM7, then using the same BB ID on the 9900 will result in the Contacts appearing on the 9900 (assuming it as well is running BBM7, of course). If the 9800 was not running BBM7, then you need to perform a specific maneuver so as to backup the contact items so that they can be available to restore to the 9900 (see the link in my auto-sig for detailed instructions). But, if the 9900 is running BBM7, then your only option is to update the 9800 to BBM7 so that the contacts can be associated with your BBID and thereby migrate to the 9900.

So, with all of that, it sounds like you indeed have a bit of a mess...hopefully it can be unraveled and get you going again, but we do need to understand the exact processes you performed.

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................