Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9500
My Carrier: Econet

Hidden MP3 files on memory card

Up until last week I was able to merrily sync my songs onto my Storm's memory card using Windows Media Player, then all of a sudden all the songs on the memory card disappeared from the Storm's media player and I could only see the songs on the phones onboard memory.  However, you can see and play the files by exploring through the file system on the Storm and choosing the "show hidden" option in the folders.  As these files cant be viewed through the Storm's media player, the media experience becomes very poor.  Now, I noticed that if I sync the songs to the Storm using Windows Media Player AND choosing NOT to create a file hierarchy on the Storm's memory card, the songs appear correctly in the Storm's media player, with the disadvantage that the memory card becomes a bit cluttered because tracks arent sorted into folders as I have chosen not to use a file hierarchy when syncing.

Now, I have tried the usual tricks to sort the usual media problem out e.g. battery pulls, quickpull, deleting the bbthumbs files to force indexation (no reindexation takes place for me now!!!), and formatting the memory card and then saving the music again, but none of this works.

Any assistance would be helpful-clearly something has changed in my device software but I cant identify what it is, since I was able to use this so easily jsut last week without these problems.

If RIM is ever threatened by bankruptcy, the government should bail it out like a Wall Street bank....
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Hidden MP3 files on memory card

Are the file ON your Media Card all in subfolders under the Music folder?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Yep they are, but I can only see the subfolders AFTER choosing to SHOW HIDDEN FILES.   Thus when I explore the media card, the first view that I get does not show any of the folders because they are all hidden, and when I say ALL I mean that all the folders are hidden including the ones created when the phone formats the memory card for use.  So I dont see the Blackberry folder (within which the Music folder will be a subfolder), unless I choose the option to show hidden files.  With these hidden folders, I have tried to change this hidden option by clicking the BB menu button, going to properties and trying to uncheck the HIDDEN option in their properties, but its greyed out and thus inaccessible.  I suspect this is the root cause because the Storm's media player is then not seeing any of the files in these hidden folders.  In addition, if I sync MP3 files onto the phones onboard memory while using the option in Windows Media Player for a file hierarchy to be created, they are also going into hidden folders whose songs then dont appear in the Storm's media player.

If RIM is ever threatened by bankruptcy, the government should bail it out like a Wall Street bank....

Legolas wrote:

I have tried to change this hidden option by clicking the BB menu button, going to properties and trying to uncheck the HIDDEN option in their properties, but its greyed out and thus inaccessible.

Make SURE your device is UNplugged from the USB cable to the PC while doing this.

If you are unplugged, reboot: With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot.

Now, still unplugged, give the device 5 minutes after rebooting to "self scan" the media card.

Open the Media icon > explore > go to those folders and again check the properties and see if you "hidden" toggle is available to uncheck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Tried the suggestions with no luck-the file properties are still greyed out so I cant change them-both on the phones onboard memory and the memory card.

Any chance you have your Media card encrypted?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I certainly didnt do anything like that intentionally.  Any idea how I can check if its encrypted?

New Contributor

I am stil trying to resolve this issue, and was messing around with the folders on the BB whilst viewing them through the USD connection to my laptop.  Whenever I change the folder options (via tools>folder options>view) to show hidden files, they revert to "do not show hidden files and folders" as soon I exit the folder whose properties I was editing.  I suspect this is the reason that I am failing to edit the folder properties through the BB.  Any ideas on resolving this?

My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Vodacom

I may be able to help. I had the same issue. I connected my bb to my pc, in my computer I opened the "Media card". On the card is the "blackberry" folder which is giving all the trouble, open this folder and cut all the subfolders, click "back", and paste directly onto the media card. So the "music" and "picture" folders etc... are now no longer sub-folders of the "blackberry" folder, they are in the same folder as the "blackberry" folder and the "private" and "tmp" folders. This seems to have cured the problem of the hidden files. It is the actual "blackberry" folder that is the problem, not its sub-folders and files...

I dont know how the blackberry will respond to this but it may keep trying to use the blackberry folder for any new media...

New Contributor

Thanks Brett. I am going to give that a shot and let you know. Do you figure the same strategy will work for the on-board memory because I am having similar issues with it?