Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Homescreen Image Support

Do any of the newer BlackBerry's (81XX, 83XX etc.) support animated GIF images as a homescreen background? I've noticed that when opening the GIF image, the animation plays at perfect speed for 10 loops and then stops, whereas when it is set as the homescreen only the first image of the animation sequence is shown with no animation. Is it simply not possible to use GIF images as an animated homescreen image or is there another way around this? Perhaps a plugin or an alternative to an animated GIF file format?

I'd imagine that the ability exists since it was possible on my 4 year old Nokia.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Homescreen Image Support

nope you can't. It's like Windows 2000 without the "Active Desktop". When you set your GIF file as wallpaper, the blackberry converts it into a bitmap image (= plain image), thus taking one frame of your GIF (the main one, which is usually the first).

You can have wallpapers that move, but it must be designed within a theme. There are some themes you can install that do just that. For example this one :

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: