Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Hong kong and Tmobile

If I brought a torch in Hong Kong from a local provider, and I brought it to America to use it, will the 3g work even if I use tmobile instead of AT&T?

Solutions: 6,376
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Hong kong and Tmobile

What carrier branded Torch do intend to buy?

Tmobile US uses different a different 3G bandwidth than much of the rest of the world, so it might not.

But you'd have to post more details to know.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm planning to buy it from 3 in Hong Kong

What other info do you need?

Solutions: 6,376
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

So, what you need to do now is determine what 3G bands that Hong Kong's 3 uses and compare that to what Tmobile US uses.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Hi,

I live in state and I am trying to get someone the torch for christmas as surprise gift in Hong Kong. What is the best option? Buy it in state or order it from HK carrier?

Let me know if following statement is true:

-If I order in state, first, I know it would work and cheaper but she will have to go through all the 3G band stuff from her carrier. It would be cheaper option right?

-If I order it from HK carrier, how would it work if she has existing contract? I dont really know her carrier at the moment but I can find out. Does it make a difference if she has existing carrier or not? I assume she would like to keep her existing number. If I buy it from one carrier different from her existing, would it be problem? or would it make more sense to order the phone from existing carrier (assuming they carry it).

Thanks

John

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

best to buy from carrier if possible, that way you dont have to unlock it and they can get support easier too.

Just make sure the frequency bands match if you buy it from the states.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

If I give my friend's number to the carrier, would they know which carrier the number come from? how many carriers are carrying the Torch in HK? if I bought the phone with same carrier, is it just process of switching the SIM card and it's done? I just want her to be able to access the phone right away without her going to store and do the activiation stuff. Thanks for your help.

Highlighted
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry DTEK60, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

nakata703 wrote:

If I give my friend's number to the carrier, would they know which carrier the number come from? how many carriers are carrying the Torch in HK?

I dont know China at all, sorry.

if I bought the phone with same carrier, is it just process of switching the SIM card and it's done? For the most part yes.

I just want her to be able to access the phone right away without her going to store and do the activiation stuff. Thanks for your help.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V